Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Complex" plot of blow up UK airlines foiled

'Plot to blow up planes' foiled
    A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage.

Police have arrested about 18 people in the London area after an anti-terrorist operation lasting several months.

Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are expected. MI5 has raised the UK threat level to critical - the highest possible.

I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane
    Joe Lynam
    BBC journalist at Gatwick

According to MI5's website, critical threat level means "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK".

Scotland Yard said in a statement that their investigation into the alleged plot was a "major operation" which would be "lengthy and complex".

"We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out with public safety uppermost in our minds."

Home Secretary John Reid is due to make a statement early on Thursday morning.

Transparent bags

The Department for Transport set out the details of the security measures at UK airports.

THREAT LEVEL
    The current threat level is assessed as critical as of 10th August 2006 - this means that an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK
    MI5 statement

Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.

BBC journalist Joe Lynam encountered the increased security measures at Gatwick airport.

"I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane," he said.

"Everything had to be checked in and that includes mobile phones, ipods, wallets - even spectacle cases had to be checked in."

David Learmount from Flight International Magazine said he expected passengers to be searched much more carefully.

He added: "This is the first time this measure has actually been taken. Certainly I've never seen hand luggage banned."
    Pretty serious business.

I am still wating for the "chemical warfare" thingie that terrorists were supposed to have last time.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

More dumb ass muslim terrorists tossed in jail.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm surprised no one tried this before.

High-jacking planes with the use of light cutting weapons and ruthlessness isn't possible anymore, as the surprise effect was lost in 2001. Passenger would now risk their lifes in order to stop a hijacking, something they rarely would dare before.

But despite the tight airport security around the world, denying people to bring nailcutters and Leathermans, there are lots of things allowed on board which could easily be disguised bombs. Like a perfume or booze bottle full of nitroglycerine, combined with a detonator hidden inside a ball-tip pen. Or plastic explosives, disguised as childrens clay, inside a tax-free shop bag. Your fantasy is the only limit. Such devices would need a trained dog or advanced chemical sniffer to detect, things that are rarely used for scanning hand luggage.

An Al-Queda style attack, with a dozen or more aircraft being blown from the sky within 15 minutes or so, would be not be that hard to pull off. And even if half of the terrorists got cought before entering the aircraft, some would slip through and be able to complete their mission before the word is out, if they used good timing and multiple airports. Unless being infiltrated by the police, as in this case.

MI5
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Thank god thy found them!

Good job MI5
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Terror plots foiled
            Blah

Comment

i surelly hope germans are not terrified enough by the brits and let me fly out of cologne tomorrow....
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Depends where you want to fly, so far I read here that some airlines cancelled all flights to Britain. Dunno what tomorrow is of course.
                Blah

Comment

CO, it was tried in 1995 by some weird Muslim guy.

Muslims, I tell you...

Comment

How come he failed?
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

He was discovered when a fire broke out in his Manila flat where he was building the bombs. he meant to explode 11 planes mid-air in the course of 24 hours. Made one test attempt that failed. Yussuf something his name...

Comment

The religion of peace strikes again
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          i surelly hope germans are not terrified enough by the brits and let me fly out of cologne tomorrow....
                          You are in Cologne?

Expel him today!

It's high security risk!

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                            The religion of peace
                            The peace of the dead.
                            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                              He was discovered when a fire broke out in his Manila flat where he was building the bombs. he meant to explode 11 planes mid-air in the course of 24 hours. Made one test attempt that failed. Yussuf something his name...
                              A suicide bomber doing it 11 times over?

Comment

Working...
                              X