Sword of the Stars - a new 4X space strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sword of the Stars - a new 4X space strategy

I found this one on wikipedia. It's another attempt to reinvigorate the space strategy genre. The twist is that there are four races, and each race has a completely different method of space travel. One race has standard hyperdrive, one relies on stargates, one has ships that can teleport short distances and one uses naturally occuring subspace lanes. There's also a 3D map.

Strategy Informer Interview

The Sword of the Stars wiki

Thoughts?

My thought is SC will be salivating.

Comment

Just curious - how does the race who relies on stargates build the stargates to begin with, if they don't have any other method of traveling through space?
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Looks like an interesting game, though.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
          Just curious - how does the race who relies on stargates build the stargates to begin with, if they don't have any other method of traveling through space?
          And if a stargate falls in the woods before you have the technology to understand them does it make a sound?

Comment

Hivers move through space using a combination of slower-than-light and instantaneous-transport technology. A fleet of Hiver ships, driven by standard STL engines, begins by traveling a great distance the hard way: It may take them months or years, moving at sub-relativistic speed, to reach their destination. However, once they arrive, a ship with the Gate Section can build a teleportation gate. Should other Hiver ships choose to follow, they can travel instantly to the newly erected gate from any other gate in the Hiver Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              My thought is SC will be salivating.
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

This game was mentioned over on Penny Arcade last week and prompted me to get the demo. It seems pretty fun, though the realtime battles are annoying. I'll probably pick up full release when it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                  As mentioned above, each race has a basic normal movement ability as well.

Comment

System requirements?

edit: found it.
                    Minimum Specifications

* Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
                    * 1 GHz Pentium/compatible CPU
                    * 512 MB RAM system memory
                    * 128 MB DirectX8 class video card
                    * 4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
                    * 56-Kpbs modem

Recommended Specifications

* Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
                    * 1.5 GHz Pentium/compatible CPU
                    * 1 GB RAM system memory
                    * 128 MB RAM DirectX9 class video card
                    * 4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
                    * Broadband Connection

Seems a bit light on the empire building side...hardly any mention of it in the interview...just that it's there.
                    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Note the internet connection requirement. I guess that means either Steam (ugh) or no SP game (whine).
                      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

There is defintely an SP game - witness the demo...

Comment

The probably just put that in the requirements. May or may not be needed. Can't imagine that they would limit thier audience as such...although who doesn't have an internet connection these days?
                          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Some strange people don't have broadband though.

Comment

That's not the worst thing I've been called on these forums ...

Comment

Working...
                              X