Barbarian Scenario (what its not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarian Scenario (what its not)

I initially thought 'play the barbarians' would mean i get to play just like they do... but unfortunately that was not to be.

Would have been sweeter if this is how things went :

- Able to run captured cities just like when they capture em as the AI
    - use workers to make improvements
    - newly created units can appear anywhere outside of AI fog of war

especially the fog of war idea.... thats wht made babarians so interesting... they could come out of anywhere if you were not watching.

Oh well.... the ideas they used were still fun... I just think it lends itself to be ripe for modding into a different play model.
    DONT MAKE BANANA ANGRY !

That would be ridiculously easy. The only reason the barbarian AI doesn't just mop up is that it's engineered not to.

Comment

I am on second scenario as barbs and it pretty fun

you HAVE to do lots of pillaging to get the funds.

Also, when you destroy a city, for some reason, you get to "sack" the ruins which were once the city you attacked

Sounds odd, but well, say you get 45 gold for sacking Munchkinville, next turn te units that occupy the previous Munchkinville site, pillage again and it will give you somewhere around 40+ gold for the ruins

I love getting plenty of Horse Archers so that they go out and pillage a bunch of tiles, @ 110 gold per, ya gotta make sure you get at least 3 pillages per unit to get what you invested in them.

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I think the double-sack thing might be sort of realistic. (When I say that in Civ, I am saying, "justifiably inspired by real life events." I am so tired of people telling me, "Civ isn't supposed to be realistic ." )

I, Mehmed, conquer Constantinople on May 29, 1453. My troops rush into the city, chaos prevails; there is still some fighting. Some grab booty, but can't carry it all, it falls in the street or back into the rubble. Others grab booty, but are killed by residual Christians/looters/other greedy Turks. Clever city residents hide some of their booty from the first rush of looting. Buildings fall from numerous fires, burying some riches beneath, including some that were hidden deep for months to keep Constantine XI from demanding them for defense of the city.

I, Mehmed, enter the city with my Janizzaries the next day. They are collecting for the state and sworn by oath in impoverished loyalty to me, (at least at this stage of the Ottoman Empire.) They sift the rubble and come away with considerable booty the first pillagers missed.

Eh??
        You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

I think it's a semi-unintended consequence. Any pillaging give you ~50 gold; they just never put in an exception for ruins.

Comment

Is it possible to alter the amounts given?

I have asked this question in another thread, but say a size 10 city should yield more than a size 2 city, both on initial attack and sacking the ruins.

Gramps

Comment

Well you do get gold for every unit you kill as well. So if they city has bunch of defenders you get decent gold. I'm seeing 300gp -- 600 gp per city sacked.

I was going great... killed 2 civs... then lost my damn camp. After that you pillage as much as you can untill you run out of units... only thing to spend gold on is promotions.

Anyone get far into it and see if higher tech barbarians become available ? ie: gunpowder units of anykind ?
              DONT MAKE BANANA ANGRY !

Comment

I am a lot further along now, will let you know as I progress

Comment

I agree; having your own units auto spawn like that in Fog of War tiles would be even easier than:

1. Playing the Civ 2 Fantastic Scenerio where Aliens attack earth as the aliens.

2. Playing C3C: Fall of Rome as either half of Rome.

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  That would be ridiculously easy. The only reason the barbarian AI doesn't just mop up is that it's engineered not to.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

My problem when I play it is one or two civs always advance too far and theres no way I can compete with them. Once the AI gets some strong defenders vs your macemen it's no longer cost effective to use large amounts of units and you're better off with a small number of highly promoted units. The problem though is that even when that happens you still hit a wall when you're running around with swordsmen and the AI is coming after you with Riflemen. Just can't seem to beat this scenario, maybe it has to do with my settings.... I've been playing it like a normal game (except with a smaller world) doing things like 6 civs and a normal/large size map.

Comment

Haven't tried the scenario yet, but look at it this way. REAL barbs have it tough, even in a regular scenario. I should know, I've killed MILLIONS of them!
                      You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

In that scenario, can any of the civs build the Great Wall? Seems like that would be a show stopper.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                          In that scenario, can any of the civs build the Great Wall? Seems like that would be a show stopper.
                          That I cant help with, sorry

But your correct, it would be tough then

Comment

Yes, I've seen it built, it doesn't affect you (the barbarians) from entering cultural boundries though.

Comment

No, you cannot upgrade, and yes it's quite hard once they have units hat outclass yours. Being able to upgrade to the lowerst common denominator would be great. but, it is not to be. the scen is fun, but you have to move really fast in killing off civs to beat it. If someone does beat it they should post that

sparky

Comment

Working...
                              X