Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions

Hi everyone,
    I haven't played ctp2 in about 8 months, and reading about all of the new changes with the source code project got me interested again. The last time I played was with the 9-12 build, and I managed to get medmod2 to work with it (minus some of the slic files). I was considering making my own mod, but have a few questions. (I hope this is the right forum rather than the source code forum). Thanks for any help.

1 - Is much of the documentation on the apolyton ctp2 page still accurate? file definitions, slic, etc, though I would guess that any new stuff from the source code project wouldn't be there.

2 - Is there any documentation on any slic changes? I have read through most of the threads and don't remember seeing it.

3 - Would it even be feasible for someone with very limited programming experience ( and that years ago) to learn slic?

4 - Is there any way to make the speed of research be based on the size of a civilization? Maybe through slic?

This last one is a more general design concept. I thought about it recently when reading the aom3 thread and all of the discussion about just getting big to win. Since I was playing eu2 at the time I thought about why I keep going back to that game. One of the first things that came to mind was the limitation on techspeed for larger empires. Though you can still achieve critical mass and roll over everything, the other nations can still keep up in tech, at least to a degree. Basically I guess I'm saying that the 'critical mass' point is farther along and not as sharply defined as in ctp2.

Thanks again for any help.

Sorry I cant get to all your questions right now. But start here:

The Modding Knowledgebase for Call To Power II/Call To Power 2 and the Apolyton Edition

and here

CTP2 Bureau - The Modding Knowledgebase for Call To Power II/Call To Power 2 and the Apolyton Edition

for changes. I'll try to help more if I get time later
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Re: a few questions

Originally posted by BigJ
      3 - Would it even be feasible for someone with very limited programming experience ( and that years ago) to learn slic?
      Actually it is even feasible for someone without any programming experience to learn slic.

4 - Is there any way to make the speed of research be based on the size of a civilization? Maybe through slic?
      Actually it depends on the size of you civilization, because each city contributes to science. Therefore the more cities you have the more science you get.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Thank you E for directing me to that website, I spent several hours just looking around at all of the useful info.

Martin that is good to know about slic. When looking around the above website I got a feel for some of the potential of slic.

As far as the speed of research in relation to empire size goes, I was aware that each city contributes, but was looking for a way to increase the cost of advances as more cities are built. The reason I would like to do this is so larger empires don't have such an advantage in science as well as the inherent one of production. Unless there is a game mechanism already in place that I don't remember a civ of 10 similar cities can research roughly twice as fast as a civ of 5 cities, for ex. Though I wouldn't want to completely reduce the advantage of additional cities on research, I would like for a rough scale resulting in diminishing returns.

One idea I had was the possibility of a building with a maintenance cost relative to the size of the civ. This would be rather rough, however, unless it could also be scaled to the civ's overall income. Ideally I would like to combine this idea with a general penalty for researching too far ahead of a specified timeline, which would be complementary to the research bonuses/penalties in the diffb.txt, and also result in diminishing returns for tech rushing. I'm not sure if this is possible however.

Again thanks for the help.

Comment

One idea I had was the possibility of a building with a maintenance cost relative to the size of the civ. This would be rather rough, however, unless it could also be scaled to the civ's overall income. Ideally I would like to combine this idea with a general penalty for researching too far ahead of a specified timeline, which would be complementary to the research bonuses/penalties in the diffb.txt, and also result in diminishing returns for tech rushing. I'm not sure if this is possible however.
          I have something like that for the Apolyton Edition. You can specify GoldPerCity fora building (using a negative value) the values is that integer times your cities times the govt threshold.

I'm in the works of making it a difficulty option

I like the advance cost idea. Not sure it could be done in slic but doing it in the source code wont be too hard. We'd probably have to make it a difficulty option as well.
          Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Working...
          X