Great General Strategy Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great General Strategy Discussion

One of the more interesting additions to Warlords was the Great General. Over the months to come I'm sure we will see plenty of interesting discussions on the best way to spend your great general, various opening gambits for getting one, and so on. But what are your early thoughts on the utility of great general so far?

One strategy that I have found effective is to use your first Great General as a Warlord and give all the experience to just one unit. This will get it up to at least level five, and usually just a few points away from level six. I think if you are charismatic, it may take you directly to level six. This ensures you access to the heroic epic and west point for free, so long as you take good care of the unit and ensure it's survival. This way I can be sure to get heroic epic shortly after researching literature (which is more powerful than the military academy option that the GG offers).

If I do follow this approach, I typically find that using the Great Military Instructor for the second GG is usually not an attractive option since your first GG has ensured West Point. If you do have more than one killer production city, it can still be a good choice. Also, if you have West Point+military instructor+vassalage/theocracy/pentagon, you can start off with three promotions in that city! However, having a military academy in the same city as the heroic epic and west point can be extremely powerful and has been typically my preferred choice for the second GG.

I think that late-game GGs are best used as warlords since the military instructor/military academy options are most useful as long term investments. So to summarize, I like to use my first GG as a warlord, then use them as instructors/academies in the middle game, and warlords again in the late game. Of course, like all things in Civ IV, various circumstances may arise that would cause me to take a different path. What do you guys think? I haven't played as an Imperialist civ yet, and the strategy for GGs for those civs is likely to be entirely different.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

I think that one of the first few GG's (I seem to generate a lot of them) should be used to get a Medic III, if you have an existing Medic II the exp can probably be shared over 2 units, if you don't have a Medic II it'll require the exp to all go to 1 unit (unless you're aggressive).
    Medic III doubles heal rate in enemy territory (it's as fast as healing with Medic I in a friendly city) and this is exceedingly useful. What's more only one Medic III is typically needed and will never be lost, although if my military campaigns are particularly far-reaching I might get two. In any case I consider Medic III to be essential for any warmongering.

I'm quite fond of using very early GG's to settle in my capital and/or main military city, so units pop out with 5exp, this gives the luxury of lvl3 units without needing to run Vassalage or Theocracy. The attractiveness of this option may depend on how good of a Heroic Epic city I have lined up.

If I have a really nice HE city and/or are Charismatic I wont hesitate to mass settle my remaining GG's in one city, in order to pop out lvl5 units - it usually takes Westpoint to get them up to lvl5, though. Or I may run both Vassalage and Theocracy, which for charismatic gives a base exp of 7/8, a GG in any city then results in them popping out at lvl4. If you settle in a coastal city, all the better, because then you can pop out lvl4 boats - Flanking I and Nav I & II, really quite useful for Ironclads since move 4 Ironclads are very effective.

The "exp sprinkle" ability can be quite useful... I tend to ignore "Great Units" other than for the exp gained upon merging, a "Great Unit" tends to die unless you coddle it, and in that case it's not helping you win the war it's just a fancy mascot - that's what Medic III is for. Anyway getting back to merging, the exp sprinkle can be good to bring four 5exp units up to 10exp, also it's good to use the GG on a very obsolete unit like a chariot and upgrade it for free to a knight, or an elephant to cavalry... this way the free upgrade is guaranteed to be useful at least once and it's simply the smart thing to do compared with merging the GG with a modern unit.

Military Academies are I feel not effective. It's like a Forge which only works for military units, but you sacrifice a Great Person for it... I don't think I'd sacrifice a Great Person for a normal forge. Also it's useful in precisely the same cities as settling - those cities spending all their time pumping out units, and in my opinion settling is stronger, quality over quantity - lower unit upkeeps, you get Rep science and Sistine’s culture too from settled GG's. But still, if I generate a lot of GG's I might create one or two military academies in unusually high hammer cities (especially if I have no marble for Heroic Epic).

Comment

Those are some great points to add Blake. You make some excellent arguements in regards to use of the great military instructors and medic III. I plan on trying your strategy of putting an emphasis on early instructors in my next game and see how it treats me.

Comment

What do you think about the leadership promotion? I have been putting it on all of my warlord units so far, but I have some mixed feelings on it's usefulness. Though it may be because I have been "coddling" my warlords too much as you might say.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
          I think that one of the first few GG's (I seem to generate a lot of them) should be used to get a Medic III, if you have an existing Medic II the exp can probably be shared over 2 units, if you don't have a Medic II it'll require the exp to all go to 1 unit (unless you're aggressive).
          Medic III doubles heal rate in enemy territory (it's as fast as healing with Medic I in a friendly city) and this is exceedingly useful. What's more only one Medic III is typically needed and will never be lost, although if my military campaigns are particularly far-reaching I might get two. In any case I consider Medic III to be essential for any warmongering.
          That's really a fantastic game plan for the gg. I've been playing marathon only lately and rarely rarely see a gg, perhaps I'll go back to normal to get more. I think what I would do is use it on a unit one step below the rest of them, so that if something drastic happens it will be the last in line to defend. (I get a bit....careless on the assault sometimes)

Comment

For what it's worth, in my first (and only) regular Warlords game, I used all my Warlords for warlording. Getting four more City Raider III Macemen can prove decisive in the gunpowder age after upgrading. I feel that settling for XP is worth it only if, as Blake says, you have a multitude of GGs; Getting more level 3 units is not as efficient as having a Medic III unit and Barrage-City-Raider-Tactics Trebuchet.

So the dividing line seems to be how many GGs you are going to generate. If you really get many, settling is a very attractive strategy, otherwise warlording seems better to me.

Comment

Outside of Genghis Khan (where I always promote of course ) I always either settle or build with my GGs. I don't find GG-led units to survive long enough to justify their existence; what's 20 more exp when I'm going to produce 20-30 units per city (at +2xp each). If I can settle one GG in each of my 4 main cities, that's 4 cities that produce tanks at 5xp without any wonders or civics...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

With Cyrus I use the first to create a Tactics-Leadership-Flanking I-Flanking II horse unit (incredible survivability and xp gain ) and settle the rest of the GG's in one city. Add in Vassalage, Theocracy, and West Point and I can easily crank out high-level units.

Comment

I've been using all my GG's in my production cities. Last game had a military academy and two instructors. City also had Heroic Epic and Ironworks. Pentagon in another city, civics set to Police State and Theocracy. I was pumping out Infantry units one per turn with 4 promotions.

Comment

I guess the big question is what is the AI doing with them. Now when I start rolling over civs I want to finish even faster before they can take advantage of any GG's that they are generating.
                    Unless they don't show when you point at a stack, I'm not seeming them in the field so I can only assume that they are setttling them.
                    If they are, do you get them if you take the city?
                    Who has more experience with them here.

I'm using them on obsolete units for free upgrades early in the game. Beats disbanding them, because early on I never have the extra money to upgrade them.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

While playing the Vikings scenario I got the message "[great leaders name] has dies in the field" so I assume that the AI is capable of creating warlords.
                      LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

The longer I've been waring with someone, I start seeing higher experienced troops so I assumed most are going to learning, but I haven't played that many games yet.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

One thing to remember is that you can have multiple military advisors in a city. I'm playing a game as the Germans right now. I've built up a unit producing city, with the Heroic Epic and the Iron Works. I burned one GG to build a military academy and then turned the next 4 into miltary advisors. The end result being that by the time I got infantry I was able to crank out a +11xp infantry unit every turn.

And then I got Panzers

In hind sight, burning one GG for a Warlord unit would have been better, since It would have let me build West Point. But this is working well enough. remember to keep and eye out for the Pentagon and Red Cross wonders. And remember stables add xp too. I made some first aid cavalry that way.

One other thing, I turned most of my infantry into ghetto marines. 3 or 4 transports full infantry with amphibious is usually enough to over power a coastal town in the enemies rear.

And then you unload your panzers
                          Good, Bad, I'm the one with the Gun- Army of Darkness

Comment

This expansion is a war-monger's wet dream...........

Comment

I'm sure the builders aren't quite as thrilled with it. More features for the AI to attack with.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X