Undocumented Warlords Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undocumented Warlords Features

Okay, so I played Warlords last night. Some of the Genghis Khan Scenario, and quite a bit of the core game.

There are a number of undocumented features I noticed that can make a significant difference in play. Some I'm less certain about their newness than others. If I'm wrong, I blame it on the lack of Blue Marble. The bright colors burn my eyes and confuse me.

Most important:
    --------------------
    - Research/Gold/Culture and Maintenance per city are now given two decimal places. So if you build a library in a city generating 1 beaker, you'll now get 1.25 beakers. You can also get cities with 0.24 maintenance cost. This is a major change, and it'll have a large effect on certain things like the Zulu's UB (I agree, that this is now a POWERFUL building).

- Multiple rows in the unit display for large unit stacks (seen in GrandpaTroll's thread).

Uncertain:
    -------------
    - Did the culture over ocean algorithm change or is it just me? My culture only seems to extend one square beyond coastal squares now (i.e. I get one ocean square in my borders). (Edit: Apparently old feature)

- Bonus for sharing religion when you have the holy city.
    In the game I'm playing I founding Hinduism and I share it with one AI. That AI has a +7 "brothers and sisters of our faith" bonus with me. That's pretty darn high. Was the bonus always that high? With the addition of Uni@Sankore and the increase in the bonus from the Minaret, religion is going to be a much bigger factor in Warlords, I think. (Edit: Apparently old feature)
    Last edited by Simplicity; July 26, 2006, 13:37.

How much the bonus for "brothers and sisters in faith" is depends largely on the AI personality.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Oh here's another one that I didn't like all that much:
      The AI attitude toward you is no longer immediately visible when they show up to talk to you on the top bar.
      You have to mouse over the leader to get the info.

I wish they'd just put an icon in the score panel.

Friendly
      Pleased
      Cautious
      Annoyed
      Furious

Comment

Originally posted by Simplicity
        Oh here's another one that I didn't like all that much:
        The AI attitude toward you is no longer immediately visible when they show up to talk to you on the top bar.
        You have to mouse over the leader to get the info.

I wish they'd just put an icon in the score panel.

Friendly
        Pleased
        Cautious
        Annoyed
        Furious
        I noticed that too. I wonder why they changed that?
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

The *only* reason I could think of was maybe they wanted to be able to have longer leader names?

It's only some of the most important info in the game... Why does it always have to be with the mouse-over and the clicky-clicky?

Comment

Re: Undocumented Warlords Features

Originally posted by Simplicity
            - Did the culture over ocean algorithm change or is it just me? My culture only seems to extend one square beyond coastal squares now (i.e. I get one ocean square in my borders).
            Always the case.
            LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Thanks Simplicity.

Comment

Catapults have a strength of 5. Also, units that have a warlord attached to warlords are upgraded for free without losing xp.
                Last edited by Will9; July 26, 2006, 16:17.
                USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                The video may avatar is from

Comment

I played most of a warlords core game last night. One difference I noticed is that there seems to be more huts guarded by barb warriors and archers around than in previous games. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, the AI really likes to hit cities that you just captured with Trebuchets zooming up the road. I lost several grenadiers this way (including two with great generals attached - ouch) to maniacal trebuchet counterattacks zooming up roads.
                  "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
                    Catapults have a strength of 5. Also, units that have a warlord attached to warlords are upgraded for free without losing xp.
                    Catapults always had 5 strength...

Comment

OT I know but it kind of feels to me that the trebuchets are overpowered. Plus I am slightly disturbed by the graphic when they attack. Everytime they do I get that stupid Devo song stuck in my head. Gah!

Comment

I thought catapults had str4.
                        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Worker poaching nerf!

Another undocumented change: When you capture workers or settlers, those units can no longer move on the same turn. Therefore, it makes it slightly harder to "poach" workers and have them run away before the AI can counterattack and retake the worker. Poaching was one of my favorite tactics, and now it requires a little more care to be taken to make sure you poach workers and settlers a couple of tiles away from enemy units and roads.

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by Fan2
                            OT I know but it kind of feels to me that the trebuchets are overpowered. Plus I am slightly disturbed by the graphic when they attack. Everytime they do I get that stupid Devo song stuck in my head. Gah!
                            I really like the trebuchets! They provide a viable artillery option for that long period in the game when your 1000 year old anceint era catapults have to deal with feudal and then gunpowder units. By making them only effective vs. cities, and weaker than regular catapults everywhere else, I do not think that they are overpowered.

Tony Soprano

Comment

I like how if you attack a city with walls it has a siege tower attacking with your troops.
                              - Dregor

Comment

Working...
                              X