Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perplexing Problem with Civ2 Gold

Hey, all!

I just got Civ2 Gold yesterday. I chose to perform a "minimum install"--hard drive space, ya know. I could probably pick a little bit larger install without feeling too cramped, but that's beside the point (maybe). (I ran a minimum install with the original Civ2 with no abberrations.) The 1.1b1 update patch has been applied.

Anyway, when the game is up and running, I get the music off of the CD, but no game sounds, no thumps when the pieces move, no battle sounds, etc. And I'm giving the application plenty of memory (about 30 MB of RAM).

I'm running system 8.1 on a 603e with 80 MB of RAM. All extensions are off, except my communications extensions and Quicktime 3.02.

Any Suggestions? Did I miss something in the ReadMe file? Please help!

Thanks, all.

------------------
    --troydawg

"A wise man is just a fool with a good memory"
    --Russell Greene, Promised Land, CBS, 1999

[This message has been edited by troydawg (edited August 31, 1999).]
    [This message has been edited by troydawg (edited August 31, 1999).]
    --troydawg

ICQ # 47293837

Are you sure sound effects are selected in the game options screen?

Comment

Yes. Sound effect is selected in the Game Options menu...
      --troydawg

ICQ # 47293837

Comment

Yes. Sound effects is selected in the Game Options menu...
        --troydawg

ICQ # 47293837

Comment

In the civ folder there should be another folder called sounds.Is it there?Is there anything in it?Try clicking a few to see if they work.I assume you tryed re-installing.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Welcome! I have a Performa 6300 which has a 603e and I'll try to turn off all extentions but the ones you mentioned and see what happens. However, it's bed time so I'll have to do it tomorrow. I loaded the full game (except music) on my hard drive and it seems to work fine.

Smash's question about the Sound file is very important. If the Sound file is missing from the Civ2 folder you won't hear a thing! Look under the path: Civilization II Files/Civ2/Sound and do a reinstall if needed.

Be sure to let us know if you find the problem!

------------------
            Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
            "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Eureka!Happy civing.
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I decided to reinstall using a "Standard Install" rather than a "Minimum Install." ("Standard" only took 35MB, anyway.)

That did it! Apparently, the way the minimum install works, it either doesn't copy the sounds over, or an install bug prevents them from copying over to the hard drive.

Someday, when I'm not playing, I'll try the minimum install again to see if I can get the sounds to work properly.

Thanks for your suggestions, all!
                --troydawg

ICQ # 47293837

Comment

Working...
                X