Politicians vs. Comedians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politicians vs. Comedians

On the Today show this morning they had a clip regarding a concern that too many politicians are using comedy shows (i.e. the Colbert Report and The Daily Show) as a media outlet. The problem, they claim, is that voters end up laughing at them instead of listening to them and that it makes capitol hill look like a bunch of kooks.

IMO, when politicians go on those shows I tend to gain more respect for them just for going on the shows. Also, I think the "comedians" interviewing them are more likely to ask the questions no one else will because if the politician chooses not to awnser it they can just laugh it off.

I think it's a great medium for politicians. Not only to reach the younger crowd, but to laugh at themselves and show that they aren't always serious.

What do you think?
    Monkey!!!

Do you vote?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

yes...
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I think having politicians on comedy shows is a great thing. They tend to be more relaxed, and they seem to be much more frank in their interviews on such shows than they are in the more serious shows.
        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

so why would the Today Show air a segment saying that it's a bad idea for politicians to do that? Are they jealous?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

The only real difference between most politicians and the comedians is that the politicians take themselves seriously. The speech sounds the same, and you can't help but laugh.

The Today show is probably under a lot of pressure from politicians seeking to be guests on the show. The Today show is seen by an awful lot of people, many of whom might actually vote.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Despite being a leftist pinko commie, I really wish there were a comedy show out there - a la The Daily Show or the Colbert Report - that was a little less biased.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Despite being a leftist pinko commie, I really wish there were a comedy show out there - a la The Daily Show or the Colbert Report - that was a little less biased.

The Colbert Report isn't that bad.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Actually, their appearances on comedy shows typically make them look much more human and normal. It's the stuff in the regular news that gives one the impression that they're lunatics, like $180K Federal earmarks for a Goat Cheese Appreciation Institute in Wyoming.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Re: Politicians vs. Comedians

Originally posted by Japher
                    On the Today show this morning they had a clip regarding a concern that too many politicians are using comedy shows (i.e. the Colbert Report and The Daily Show) as a media outlet. The problem, they claim, is that voters end up laughing at them instead of listening to them and that it makes capitol hill look like a bunch of kooks.
                    Capitol Hill makes Capitol Hill look like a bunch of kooks.
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Re: Re: Politicians vs. Comedians

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                      Capitol Hill makes Capitol Hill look like a bunch of kooks.
                      Quick, sign Kassi up for the Daily Show

Comment

Much appreciated, but it appears Elok got there first.
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

The Today show is just jealous that more young people consider the news from the Daily Show more reliable than the MSM. Maybe if the MSM stopped being total hosebags . . .
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                          X