Installtion queston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installtion queston

Before I go get and install Warlords tomorrow, I have a question. What would happen if I install Warlords with changes in vanilla civ4?
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

I would *SUPPOSE* that all that Warlords does is it adds on all the information that's in the CD, but if you have changed the XML or Python, you *MIGHT* have come screw ups with conflicting information.

Then again, this game was built for modding, so you should ask support when it comes out.

Comment

*Ahem* Tommorow...

Comment

One would think that if this game is built for modding then the installation procedure would either make sure that it can install properly or warn you that you need an unmodified copy of CivIV in order to run the game.

I am not a modder, but wouldn't it be relatively easy for an installation program to figure out whether it has been modded or not (ie, date stamps on the important files)?

Watiggi

Comment

if you install and no one else does and you PBEM

the games will not work
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

You can still run the original Civ IV after installing Warlords.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
              if you install and no one else does and you PBEM

the games will not work
              More specifically, this is not at all true. You can still play your Civ4 PBEMs whether or not Warlords is also installed.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I've already changed all of my changes. Once I install Warlords I'll change them back.
                USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                The video may avatar is from

Comment

PBEMS are probably given the option now of playing "Warlords" or just vanilla.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                    You can still run the original Civ IV after installing Warlords.
                    If you have vanilla, no-patch Civ IV, the new Warlords will install the patches.

Are you saying that you will have the option to play without new civs, units, buildings, wonders from Warlords even after installing it? Since they are also updating standard files, why would they do that? Or are you saying one can arrange that if they handle the install in a particular way?
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Warlords has a different EXE file, and it has its own set of modified XML files. You can launch the original Civ IV, which will not have the new civs, units, Generals, vassals, etc.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It's just like other expansion packs, if you've gotten one before.

It's a different CD - they are pretty much seperate games, and to play Warlords you have to use the Warlords CD, unlike a patch.

Comment

Working...
                        X