• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome Total war help

Will it play on my newly aquired lap top

Pentium (M) 1.6 hZ
    512MB Ram

and here lies the problem Intel extreme2 graphics.

Any ideas
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Will it play? Probably. RTW doesn't require any fancy shader effects. However, I don't think you're going to be able to run with all the details set high. Stick with normal unit sizes and medium detail settings to see how it works, then turn them down if you need to.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Cheers,

I'm probably going to get medieval war 1st and if I like it try RTW.
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The original STW will work for sure, and is a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
          The original STW will work for sure, and is a great game.
          I second that. Play Shogun first then work your way through the other two. If/when you get to RTW, try to find a decent mod for the game if you want a better experience. Out of the box it pretty much sucks.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I saw STW with the x-pack available for mere pennies the other day as well.

Comment

If you play MTW first, your going to try out RTW and cry at the non existant AI. Better patch\mod it up, iirc there might be ai boost mods

although MTW is superior to RTW in almost every way, RTW cavalry is funner....mmm elephants...
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

RTW with the latest patch, IMO, is far superior in terms of AI to that of MTW (though both, of course, pale in comparison to a human opponent). I'd never go back to MTW after Rome, for a lot of reasons, but I also concur that a mod will get you the best RTW for your money. Try RTR or EB; I believe both of these will eventually be upgraded to work with the BI expansion pack (the original SP game for the expansion is also a lot of fun, with hordes and all).
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Huh, maybe ill have to check it out again fully patched.
                  if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

That's the trouble with the TW games, they always need so many patches. STW was the best in this regard though.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      That's the trouble with the TW games, they always need so many patches. STW was the best in this regard though.
                      Didn't MTW only require one patch? I never got Viking Invasion, so I don't know about that.
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Ave, Apolyton!

Recently acquired this game and am currently in a long campaign as the Julii. I've driven the Gauls out of Northern Italy and wondering what to do next. Have been focusing on the economic buildings for my two starting settlements. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions from the RTW veterans here.
                        "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Grab a couple of valuable settlements in the Western Med. You can pick up the Gallic towns later, but they won't pay out very well untill they've been developed. Right now you don't want to be supporting a developing empire from two decent provinces. Look at Sicily, Carthage, Sardinia, maybe a neutral Greek province. Get some kind of trade network set up. This will finance a push to the north to eliminate the Gauls... and then maybe Britain?
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                            ...maybe a neutral Greek province...
                            Go for Greece! You'll be rolling in money in no time.
                            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                              Recently acquired this game and am currently in a long campaign as the Julii. I've driven the Gauls out of Northern Italy and wondering what to do next. Have been focusing on the economic buildings for my two starting settlements. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions from the RTW veterans here.
                              I find the Julii to be the hardest Roman faction to play, because of their rather poor economic condition compared to the other families. The first thing you want to do is look around - what are the other Roman factions up to? If the Brutii are doing poorly in Greece (actually, not very likely) consider taking much of it before they do. If the Scipii haven't taken Carthage yet (somewhat more likely), take it before they do. In the end you will have to fight these guys, so it's critical to stunt their growth early by taking valuable provinces away from them.

If this isn't possible, Iberia should be your next target. Their coastal cities on the east are decent economic sites when well developed; if Carthage still has Corduba (or whatever that city is called), declare war on them and take it. The Balears should also be seized if nobody has kicked the Carthaginians out yet. When all of the Iberian peninsula is taken, you will have gained a lot of provinces with good potential while only opening up a small and quite defensible border with Gaul.

The Iberians themselves are pretty easy to conquer; their infantry is a lot like early roman infantry, only not quite as good in defense. Skirmishing tactics won't work well because most of their infantry packs javelins; go for a direct charge with infantry (principes will cut through anything but Bull Warriors), and use massed equites on one flank (Iberian cavalry is terrible) to rout their cavalry and deliver the death blow to their rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X