Does Israel use the M1 Abrams tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Israel use the M1 Abrams tank?

I know Israel uses their own Merkava tank but I thought they also owned some of the American made M1 tanks and older M-60 tanks. Am I right or do I owe my co-worker lunch tomorrow?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Its been awhile. I'll have to check.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

this is what you bet on? why not coin flips, or "guess which hand the pencil is in"?
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

You owe your co-worker lunch.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I don't think they do. They began using their indegenous Merkava around the time the M1 came into use, in addtion to the M60.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

ok, burritos on me then.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A list of what they do have:

Comment

How recent is that? I thought they were on the Merkava MkIV.

Just googling around, I saw Egypt has M1A1s, someone on some forum claimed Israel has less than 50 M1A1s (found nothing to back that up), and budget cuts threaten further production of the Merkava MkIV and development of a MkV.

The Merkava was developed so that Israel wouldn't be dependent upon other countries for tanks. Britain was going to sell them Chieftains back in the 70s, but backed out under (Arab?) pressure. The MkI began service late in '79.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

That list, while not too recent, is still pretty accurate. Once Israel was making its own MBT's to meet its particular needs, there would be no reason to buy foreign MBTs.

And yes, Egypt does have M1A1's, as well as apaches and F-16's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                    I thought they were on the Merkava MkIV.

Pretty amazing tank.

Comment

They don't have but considered buying it in 2004, about the same time Egypt made their purchase.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Probably the most important feature of the Merkava is that it was specifically designed to enhance crew survivability (thats why the engine is in front fer'instance) rather than improve firepower, maneuverability, etc. The israelis found during the 73 war that experienced tank crews were more valuable and much harder to replace than the tanks themselves. It came out a few years before the Abrams.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Does Israel use the M1 Abrams tank?

Yes, but it switched its name to "Abrahams tank" as soon as it crossed the border.

(rimshot)
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                            Probably the most important feature of the Merkava is that it was specifically designed to enhance crew survivability (thats why the engine is in front fer'instance) rather than improve firepower, maneuverability, etc. The israelis found during the 73 war that experienced tank crews were more valuable and much harder to replace than the tanks themselves. It came out a few years before the Abrams.
                            Also moving the engine up enables the doors in the back, allowing the crew to enter and escape and resupply more easily. Though since the MkI they've improved the firepower and maneuverability.
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Which is the best MBT anyway?
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X