StarCraft: Fave race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarCraft: Fave race?

I picked it up again recently, determined to finish off Brood War (I quit after Terran mission seven). I still couldn't beat seven (it's one of the missions where you have a fixed number of troops to explore an installation, ie largely dependent on the whim of SC's bad pathfinding AI), so I went on to the Zerg missions. I told myself: "Okay, Elok, you don't like the Zerg, but they've added new units which should help the balance of gameplay considerably. Try them again."

I almost finished mission three before I got sick of the wretched bugs again and just cheat-skipped the remaining seven levels to see the ending cinematic. I understand that there are people who can use the Zerg with devastating effectiveness, but I'm just not one of them. I hate, well, almost everything about them: the inability to recover wounded units or structures quickly, the dependence on large groups to stay effective, the severe building restrictions, the absence of capital ships, the triple duty pulled by Overlords, the limited use of invisibility, all of it.

I don't mind Guardians as much as I used to, but they're not so effective without a powerful air-to-air unit to guard them, and with 9 attack it takes a lot of mutas to wipe out a Wraith squadron before it can slice up the Guardians badly. Probably that gets better once you get Devourers for support, but meh. They'd be awesome if the Zerg had something like Scouts or Wraiths with a strong ATA attack (that isn't kamikaze like the Scourge). Actually, they'd be more than awesome, they'd be practically invincible, so I guess that's why. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the Zerg, we'll leave it at that for now.

By contrast, I love the Protoss. Not only am I an occasional Carrier-whore, I love Archons, Dark Templar, even Dragoons (they're just so CUTE!). Observers are very handy, the warp-and-leave building system more than makes up for the pylon restrictions to me, and while I don't spam Dark Archons as badly as some it is nice to steal an attacking unit every once in a while. The only things I really dislike about them are the inability to repair HP damage and the limitations of the Reaver as compared to the Siege Tank. But you can't have everything.

So: this game's a classic, and it's likely going to stay in play for a good while longer, seeing as Blizzard has yet to announce a true sequel to it. When you play, who do you play as, and why?

Also, am I the only one who thinks of Archons (respectfully and affectionately!) as "bug zappers?" Come on, they're big blue lights that emit electrical bolts to kill giant insects, I can't be the only one who noticed the similarity...
    Terrans
    26.92%
    Zerg
    23.08%
    Protoss
    23.08%
    It's a tie
    7.69%
    I don't play SC
    15.38%
    Banana beings can kill them all!
    3.85%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Everything that is not Terran must go B0O0/\/\!

(sorry about that outburst, it's an ancient tenet of my religion)
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Terran.

Comment

KEKEKEKEKE! Zerg rush!
        I changed my signature

Comment

I generally random.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamecube64
            KEKEKEKEKE! Zerg rush!
            QFT
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Okay, where does "kekekeke" come from? I've read it before on somethingawful parodies, but I'm not up to multiplayer and probably never will be, so...
              1011 1100

Comment

It's East Asian for 'hahahaha'. I think.

As for races, I like Protoss as well.

Comment

Klingons
                  <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                  Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Which one has the most redheads?
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                      Which one has the most redheads?
                      Terrans (pre-infested Kerrigan, am I right?)
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Terrans were just so cool. I wasn't that impressed with the Zerg, but I got used to them. But the Protoss really bored me. I lost interest in the campaign after a few Protoss senarios.
                        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Kerrigan didn't really do much for me. It was more of a rhetorical question.

I enjoyed terrans the most. Stimmed soldiers running around shooting everything that moved was an awesome sight, and very effective.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I was always kind of nervous about using Stimpacks until Brood War came out and Medics became available. It's the save-it-for-later mentality: "I've only got three shots at this, maybe less; I'd better keep it until I really really need it." Which of course meant I never wound up using it except at the end of missions or on suicide runs.

I could never consider the Protoss boring, honestly. They have Dark Templar, and any faction that uses ninjas is automatically the coolest for me. Even without that, the fact that each individual troop is about twice as strong as its Terran equivalent makes for an addictive experience. Not to mention more convenient in a game where there are limits on how many troops you can control at once--a control group of twelve Zerglings or Firebats is a lot less powerful and durable than a control group of twelve Zealots. I do sometimes play the Terrans though.

So kekekeke is just laughter? Huh. I always figured it was the sound Zerglings make or something (my computer has no speakers).
                            1011 1100

Comment

I was nervous about using Stimpacks too - when your soldiers have 40hp and using it cuts them down by 25%, thats not a good thing, right? What you are doing though is effectively getting twice the number of soldiers and hence doing twice as much damage to things that are trying to kill you. With them dead, you soldiers last a bit longer despite having less hp.

Comment

Working...
                              X