Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ Players Needed - Help Us Please

Hello the forums!

I'm posting here because I'm a game researcher, and we're doing some work on Civ. We're looking for people who like to play either SimCity, Civilization, or
    both (in any version) to take an online survey. Basically, we'll be asking you some questions about your experiences playing these games, to read some text online, and then to answer some questions about the text. By doing so, you'll be helping us figure out just how these games might be useful for playful learning. Bonus: you'll also get a chance to enter a raffle for an Amazon gift certificate!

If you're willing to help us out, please take our survey here: http://geranium.tc.columbia.edu/~web...ame-survey.htm. All responses will be confidential!

If you're really excited about helping out, I'd be particularly grateful if you could send this link to any friends you might have who would be interested in participating in game research. Feel free to repost as widely as you like! I'd also appreciate any suggestions of other places to recruit players to participate.

If you have any questions, you can contact me by private message or in this thread, and I'd be happy to answer them (though I'll be out of town for a few days, so I apologize in advance if I'm slow to respond!).

Thanks so much, and I really appreciate your help!

--Jess

Your link doesn't work there, homeboy.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

45-60 minutes for the survey?
      B♭3

Comment

Yes it does.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

We just found out that some browsers have trouble with the link. If you have trouble then we'd really appreciate it if you could post your OS/browser combo here. I thought we'd tested it extensively but, you know how it goes.

As far as the survey time goes ... well, it's varied widely. We listed a fairly conservative estimate because we don't want people to get halfway through and then get mad at us. We prefer they get mad right at the start.

Thanks again folks!

--Jess

Comment

Works on Opera. I think it's a case of Operator Error.

What's this survey pay?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

XP/IE...can't imagine you wouldn't have tested THAT combo.
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Well, that was a bit of a pain in the ass. Why am I doing this again? I assure you I've gotten the requisite indoctrination from my various courses, I didn't really need the PDFs.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                  More like two hours for me . I think a secret purpose of this survey is to see how people's answers deteriorate towards the end... really, by the time you get to page 19 and think you're only inches from the end, and see the humongous list of questions on that page... it gets hard to convince yourself to keep answering.

Edit: I was so overwhelmed that I almost forgot to say something I intended to say a hour and a half ago when I was still answering the questions on urban planning: I'd like to thank you for that part of the survey. I never really understood very well what this American suburban sprawl is. I didn't know different services were *that* segregated. I used to live in a neighbourhood with a cement factory (one that never was noisy or smelly or much of an eyesore, compared to the apartment blocks anyway) right next to it and an electronics store on the ground floor of the block I lived in. It's really difficult for me to imagine that someone would want to zone them off into different parts of a city.
                  Last edited by Ari Rahikkala; July 9, 2006, 19:31.
                  This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    What's this survey pay?
                    One lucky user wins a small biscuit, by the looks of things. That survey looks like a nasty time-suck.

Comment

Guardian? name? video/audio?

Comment

XP/Firefox -- failed
                        XP/IE -- failed

From the above posts, though, this survey looks way too long. I can already tell you that I won't spend an hour taking a survey.

Comment

There's probably not even a banana option.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

I like to take surveys, but 45+ minutes is WAY TOO LONG
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

WAY more than 60 minutes. I jumped out.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X