Triumph of the will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph of the will

I was searching for this movie on the internet; ill give the links for people who can be interested.

Warning:it's a pro-nazi film, but beautifuly pictured.

Triumph of the Will

Google video:

"Influences and legacy

According to historian Philip Gavin, "The legacy of Triumph of the Will lives on today in the numerous TV documentaries concerning the Nazi era which replay portions of the film… [Its] most enduring and dangerous illusion is that Nazi Germany was a super-organized state, that, although evil in nature, was impressive nonetheless."[16] Gavin believes that the reality of Nazism as a disorganized and bureaucratic mess was obscured by Triumph of the Will's powerful images of a united Fascist movement. Nicholas Reeves concurs, adding that "many of the most enduring images of the Third Reich and Adolf Hitler derive from Riefenstahl’s film."[3]

Triumph of the Will has also been studied by many contemporary artists (at his wedding, Mick Jagger told Riefenstahl that he had seen it at least fifteen times), including film directors Peter Jackson, George Lucas, and Ridley Scott. The first known movie to use Triumph imagery is Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, which ironically was a parody of Nazism. Scenes from the film have also been imitated in later movies, most famously Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (as well as the other Star Wars films). Other films to use either Triumph–like imagery or scenes from the film are Citizen Kane, A Clockwork Orange, Gladiator, Hero, Lord of the Rings, The Lion King, Richard III, Red Dawn, Spartacus, The Wall, and Starship Troopers. The movie The Empty Mirror even shows several scenes from Triumph, with Hitler (played by Norman Rodway) giving his analysis of them. Some see the musical Springtime for Hitler in the Mel Brooks comedy The Producers as a spoof of Triumph, though Brooks has denied this.

The film's fame (or infamy) has even turned the phrase "Triumph of the Will" into a gag line, because so many people understand the reference. For example, in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when Dr. Frank N. Furter shows his creation to his retainers, his maid exclaims in a strong German accent that it is "a triumph of your vill." In addition, the Boomtown Rats song "(I Never Loved) Eva Braun" also includes the line "Eva Braun…never really fitted in the scheme of things/She was a triumph of my will." The title was also referenced in the Dead Kennedys song "Triumph of the Swill" as well as the 1979 Devo song "Triumph of the Will." In the DVD of "Venue Songs" from They Might Be Giants, the Anaheim House of Blues was described as having a "Triumph-of-the-Will management style."

The film has also influenced American politics. The director of a political ad for Nelson Rockefeller's 1968 presidential campaign admitted he used Triumph as a reference.[8] Some American political commentators have also compared both the Republican and Democratic Party Conventions to Triumph of the Will, although these criticisms are usually partisan in nature."

bleh

Well, it has a strong evil message entwined in it... Very fitting for Saruman, Scar and the Rebel scum.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

The rally scenes are well photographed, as is Hitler's arrival into the City, but most of the film is boring or unintentionally funny.

The speeches by Nazi party luminaries are boring, and the military parade at the end is WAY too long.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I always thought TotW was rather tame in comparison to what Madison Ave. can do.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          The rally scenes are well photographed, as is Hitler's arrival into the City, but most of the film is boring or unintentionally funny.

The speeches by Nazi party luminaries are boring, and the military parade at the end is WAY too long.
          Yeah, I had to watch it once as part of a history seminar.....there was like what - 30 minutes only march scenes, with stupid march music? Despite interesting moments (the opening, with Hitler coming god-like from the sky was really impressive), well made scenes etc. it was rather a pain to go through.....and I hated Riefenstahl for denying until her death that it was a propaganda movie.
          Blah

Comment

I thought Triumph of the Will was about the Olympics or something?
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

It's about the "Reichsparteitag" of the NSDAP in Nuremberg. The one about the olympics is simply called "Olympia" IIRC.
              Blah

Comment

that grid in the lion king screen shot always confused me. What the hell is it there for?
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Lazy artists?
                  I changed my signature

Comment

Well going in 30 minutes, it's pretty interesting. Not from propaganda point of view, which it obviously is (look we're working for Mr Hitler and we'd do it for free, oh it's so fun!), but from other views.. like the buildings are really nice. There are lots of parades with interesting costumes, some traditional non-military stuff... those are pretty cool.

Is it me, or did the director make it look like ALL the women want Adolf? They're like nymphomaniacs and Hitler is the only medicine..
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                      that grid in the lion king screen shot always confused me. What the hell is it there for?
                      Those are the squares your unit can move to this turn.

Comment

No, it's obviously used as a subtle reference to Saturday Night Fever.

Comment

Yes it's very obvious if you're gay slut.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                            I thought Triumph of the Will was about the Olympics or something?

Err, that would be the misleadingly named 'Olympia'... also by Riefenstahl.

Had some lovely photography of tasty athletes...

I did actually enjoy 'Triumph Of The Will' but felt guilty for doing so. It is impossible for me to divorce the film from its context, and yet somehow I don't have that problem with Soviet cinema by Pudovkin or Eisenstein or Dovzhenko.

I suspect it's partly because of the successful fetishization of Nazi imagery and uniforms- Riefenstahl does make the Nuremberg theatre of light look stunningly attractive.

Of course no amount of lighting or make up would do the same for Himmler, Goering, Hitler or Goebbels, but it is worth nothing that when you Chamberlain and Hitler together, the British Prime Minister looks antique- as though he's steeped out of a creaking Victorian melodrama.
                            Attached Files
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                            X