Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now our soldiers are raping Iraqi women, too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now our soldiers are raping Iraqi women, too?

I think I'm gonna be sick...

BEIJI, Iraq - The U.S. Army will investigate charges that five American soldiers were involved in the killings of four Iraqi relatives, including a woman who had been raped, military officials said Friday. It's the sixth current inquiry into the alleged slayings of Iraqi civilians by American troops.

Some of the five soldiers also allegedly burned the body of the woman they are accused of assaulting in the March incident, a U.S. military official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

The U.S. command issued a statement saying only that Maj. Gen. James D. Thurman, commander of coalition troops in Baghdad, had ordered a criminal investigation into the alleged killing of a family of four in Mahmoudiyah, south of Baghdad.

At least 14 American troops have been convicted in other cases.

The United States also is investigating allegations that two dozen unarmed Iraqi civilians were killed by Marines in the western town of Haditha on Nov. 19 in a revenge attack after one of their own died in a roadside bombing.

"The entire investigation will encompass everything that could have happened that evening. We're not releasing any specifics of an ongoing investigation," military spokesman Maj. Todd Breasseale said of the Mahmoudiyah allegations.

"There is no indication what led soldiers to this home. The investigation just cracked open. We're just beginning to dig into the details."

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said he had no additional details on the incident but added that the military routinely investigates all allegations of misconduct.

However, a U.S. official close to the investigation said at least one of the soldiers, all assigned to the 502nd Infantry Regiment, has admitted his role and been arrested. Two soldiers from the same regiment were slain this month when they were kidnapped at a checkpoint near Youssifiyah.

The official told the AP the accused soldiers were from the same platoon as the two slain soldiers. The military has said one and possibly both of the slain soldiers were tortured and beheaded.

The official said the mutilation of the slain soldiers stirred feelings of guilt and led at least one of them to reveal the rape-slaying on June 22.

According to a senior Army official, the alleged incident was first revealed by a soldier during a routine counseling-type session. The official, who requested anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, said that soldier did not witness the incident but heard about it.

A second soldier, who also was not involved, said he overhead soldiers conspiring to commit the crimes, and then later saw bloodstains on their clothes, the official said.

He also said the four people killed included three adults and a child, and one of the adults was the woman who allegedly was raped.

One of the accused soldiers already has been discharged and is believed to be in the United States, several U.S. officials said on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. The others have had their weapons taken away and are confined to Forward Operating Base Mahmoudiyah.

Senior officers were aware of the family's death but believed it was due to sectarian violence, common in the religiously mixed town, a U.S. official said.

The killings appeared to have been a "crime of opportunity," the official said. The soldiers had not been attacked by insurgents but had noticed the woman on previous patrols.

Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

If it can be proven those soldiers should be hung until dead in the street outside that burned down house, and left there to rot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
        If it can be proven those soldiers should be hung until dead in the street outside that burned down house, and left there to rot.
        QFT

Comment

There's the thing: can it be proven?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

In every war, soldiers rape women. It is a reality of war.

My christian-right brother-in-law said this about 2 years ago, when I told him some of our soldeirs are raping women.

Well, now let's see how much of a small deal it really is.

War is hell, and should only be fought in the most extreme of circumstances.
            Pentagenesis for Civ III
            Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega

My christian-right brother-in-law said this about 2 years ago, when I told him some of our soldeirs are raping women.
              Did he follow up with "we have our soldiers rape women over there so they don't have to rape men here," before thumping a bible and saluting a flag?
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Did he follow up with "we have our soldiers rape women over there so they don't have to rape men here," before thumping a bible and saluting a flag?
                LoL

No, he was just apathetic. When I asked him what he thought about the idea that this war very well may be leading to the path of real persecution of Christians, and could be the impetus for the tribulation. he pretty much just shrugged, "if that's God's will"

I didn't know what else to say.
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

There are some 130.000 soldiers in Iraq - most of them men. What is the probability that some of those will commit rape ? Pretty high.

Punish them according to the law and go on.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                    The story is alluding that perhaps two of them were captured by insurgents, tortured and beheaded.
                    Pentagenesis for Civ III
                    Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

I think that settles it. When you willingly declare war, you willingly declare massacres and rapes of the innocent. Comes with the package.

All those who supported starting the war in Iraq share a part of the blame.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The story is alluding that perhaps two of them were captured by insurgents, tortured and beheaded.
                        That'll save some rope.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                          There are some 130.000 soldiers in Iraq - most of them men. What is the probability that some of those will commit rape ? Pretty high.

Punish them according to the law and go on.
                          People commit crimes,
                          the army isn´t different from the normal population in this manner.

Problem is that in the army the criminals in almost all cases have access to weapons and could also abuse their uniform, for example to order civilians around, with the intent of commiting their crimes or to cover their tracks.
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I think that settles it. When you willingly declare war, you willingly declare massacres and rapes of the innocent. Comes with the package.

All those who supported starting the war in Iraq share a part of the blame.
                            QFT
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

All those who supported starting the war in Iraq share a part of the blame

Even if this is supposedly the case - how does this occurance have any real weight in the global scope of things - besides any overblowing of such event to a mass media frenzy?
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X