helping a newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helping a newb

Just wanted some of you vets and not so vets check my save game out and tell me what im doing wrong. Anything from research line. I know im bad about leaving bases lightly defended.

Any help would be greatly appricated.
    Attached Files

I had a moment to look at it, and I saw one thing, build cottages! That will help your research alot! By the way, I don't consider myself a vet, and as such, I would like to put on my usual disclaimer, "I will wait for a more experienced player who will be able to help you more."
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    Check out my Blog!

Comment

Only 2 warriors with 3 cities, and no scouting units with so much land black: Bad. Technology choice: Good, you got an early religion, researched the infrastructure techs and are now working on Archery, a classical way for a Builder. Only one worker: Not good, but you are building another one. Focus on building roads, to connect more resources and to make military movement faster: You are connected for trade purposes by the river, but if someone decides to attack Boston, it's lost. After the settler in Washington, I would start building maybe another worker, but also archers.

Comment

I'd say build two archers in Washington after the settler (one going to New York). Then build a scout or two (may have to do this first). Then build two wokers in Washington. Have the first one build a road to Boston and the have second the second further improve on Washington. Once the worker in Boston is done make an archer. Then make a scout and then mabye a settler. Hope that helps.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

I agree with Will, but I think that 2 workers is enough, and there is no reason to waste production on a third.

Comment

Thanks alot for the advice everyone Ill give your ideas some advice.

Comment

i will give you some general playstyle advice,

you dont want to overexpand, three citys is good enough for where your at, you dont need that settler yet, especially with germany right up on your border like he is. the most beneficial strategey would be to wipe out germany after building some much needed infostructure such as cotages,mines, and 2 or 3 farms, roads help too, you need at least 2 workers for three citys, once you get your core set up, go after germany with chariots. raze cities that dont have good resorces, and capture his capital, your science rate will drop very low, dont worry, get cotages, granieries, and courthouses up in all the cities you took and you will bounce back stronger than if you hadnt attacked him. dont be afraid to use slavery to hurry production if you need it. and try to keep your cities relativly close, i know boston whas too good a site to pass up, but it can be hard to defend a city that is cut off from your empire like that

oh, and as a general rule of thumb for defence, 2 warriors or 1 archer can handle most anything youl be seeing for a while (be careful about barbarian axmen, you need an archer to deal with him)

hope this helps you

-ward

Comment

spam your religon asap

be nice and keep open borders and infect them all
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

tell me what im doing wrong

The biggest "problem" is probably that you aren't sure exactly what you want to accomplish in the game.

By the time you get into the Common Era, you should have a decent idea of how you want to win the game and should, if you haven't already, begin working directly towards that goal.

When I play on Monarch, I have to quickly gauge what resources I have been given and what resources I could take with the absolute minimal exertion. After that, I then have to decide how to win and then start applying myself to that goal; if I want to win a domination, I need to start working towards a quick axeman rush or more reliable spearhead towards CS (Civil Service) & Machinery for Mace men to only eventually work towards Cavalry and Cannon, or if I want to go for a space race win, I need to secure a lot of land that is conducive to production and commerce which will land me securely in the top three civilizations without a huge need for warfare.

You see, in no game should you simply pitter-patter along researching technologies and generally improving your army, infrastructure, or city improvements to no real end, instead, you should make every action, every keystroke, you make somehow help you accomplish the initial goal you set for yourself earlier in the game. If you need to change you goal, great, do it, but make sure that you go wholeheartedly into it or you will not get past Prince difficulty because pitter-pattering is exactly what the AI does and it can do it a lot faster with their bonuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Autotropx Sox
                    you should have a decent idea of how you want to win the game and should, if you haven't already, begin working directly towards that goal.

Very good advice.
                    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                    X