What is the truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the truth?

Throughout history there seems to be two competing, great ideas. One is that by naming your enemy, you gain power over them. The other is that by naming your enemy, they gain power over you.

You can see this in fiction of all types, and very explicitly in speculative fiction (but you can see it in more mainstream lit, like books by Melville for example).

Stories I have read suggest that both ideas have been arround for a long time, and both have found many proponents. By enemy I don't neccesarily mean a person, I could also mean a thing (the whole being to thy own self be true is naming your enemy..).

While lit. seems to overall be in favor of naming your enemy, it seems that in general life many many (the majority?) of people at all ages of the world have considered that in naming their enemies, that that gives their enemies power over them.

So now I ask apolyton, what is your oppinion on this?

Jon Miller
    (famous example of this in speculative fiction is LoTR, but it is in all sorts of other speculative fiction, including that which isn't derivative)
    Naming your enemies gives them power over you.
    0.00%
    Naming your enemies gives you power over them.
    25.00%
    Both.
    6.25%
    Neither?
    18.75%
    It is more complicated then this...
    43.75%
    Name Bananas for fun and profit.
    6.25%
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Have you been drinking?

Comment

Err, no. I have been thinking.

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't mean to be rude(really) but I'd also like, to confirm this.

Have you been drinking?

The act of naming your enemies ITSELF has no inherant power, but depending on the situation and the relationship between the two of you, it may be advantagous to one, the other, or both.

I really can't imagine any other answer....

Comment

It's a meta concept.

Or a metacept.

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

There is no relation. Magic does not exist and really, that is the only relationship which could be described besides the one I outlined.....

Comment

lol let's find out LOL

I, joncha, hereby name Vesayen as my enemy.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

If you are sneaking through the bushes with a knife, and you name him, it gives him power because he knows to duck. If he's sneaking through the bushes with a knife, naming him probably gives you power because he could reveal himself accidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha

I, joncha, hereby name Vesayen as my enemy.
                  "Vesayen levels up"

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

"Vesayen levels up"
                    Dun da da da da dun da dun!

Comment

I think you all aren't being meta enough.. think about the non-speculative fiction I said. Like Melville or Shakespeare.

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

obviously things like magic (in speculative fiction) are just tools to get concepts across..

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

It all depends on the person doing the naming. Its a personal thing. Are you more afraid of the enemy because the enemy knows they are the enemy, or do you feel less afraid because you know who it is?
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                            Dun da da da da dun da dun!
                            Whatever, Fran.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

There is no enemy
                              anywhere
                              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                              X