The Age of Napoleon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Age of Napoleon

Unexpectedly I found myself with a bit of time to myself today! y So I've decided to finish off the BETA version of this scenario that I've been working on, on and off, for the past year or so. Its my first real attempt at scenario making so I'll need all the opinions I can get!

I'll add a readme when I can, but I would like to thank Eivind for his suggestions during the early stage of development, and Fairline and Typhoon, whose units I have used and modified.

EDIT: Fortresses made into air units (helicopter) to prevent them being transported. Pirates given naval superiority.

December 1802

Napoleon Bonaparte has been made Consul for life. There has been nine months of peace in Europe since the Treaty of Amiens ended war between France and her allies and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The fighting is not over yet. Whilst Bonaparte marshalls his troops for the second round, across the channel, the British sit behind the Royal Navy and rebuild their army as well. For either side to win the coming conflict control of the seas will help to decide the outcome.

In other theatres, the future French Emperor is sending troops to Saint Domingue to restore slavery and French rule, whilst in North America French diplomats are engaged in selling Louisianna to the infant United States.

Britain, currently the world's largest Empire, needs time to prepare. With an expansionist America threatening Canada, French ambitions in India and the Carribean, and Spain and Holland in South America and South East Asia respectively, the services of Prussia, Austria and Russia may be needed to put down the Corsican upstart once and for all.

LINK:

Finally a Napoleon scenario on a world map!

This one looks really promising, and the graphics are excellent.
    Trying it out right now as the frenchies. The only thing I miss is the invasion of Australia (couldn't find it in the events). I guess I will have to create one myself.
    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Looks pretty cool

Comment

Re: The Age of Napoleon

Originally posted by Saladin23

EDIT: Fortresses made into air units (helicopter) to prevent them being transported. Pirates given naval superiority.
        Very interesting idea!
        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Damn, I get a corrupted zip when I DL. Anyone else have a problem?
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

It came up corrupted the first time I DLd it. The second time it worked fine. Odd, I know.

Comment

Looks like a great scenario. Good job.

Some critiques, since you asked.

1. What civ should I be playing? Is it just the French?

2. Playing as the Americans: The USS Philadelphia event in Tripoli won't always work the way it probably should. My frigate by Derna lost the first time I played and won the second time. I lost a frigate by New Orleans the same turn and the text popup was triggered. In fact, everytime an American Frigate is killed by a pirate the event goes off. No biggee, just a continuity issue.

3. I'm seeing the War Parties and Pirate Frigates fortifying. I passed by a Pirate frigate with a severly hurt American frigate and they didn't attack. The War Parties aren't attacking either
              Last edited by Harry Tuttle; June 21, 2006, 13:44.

Comment

1. What civ should I be playing? Is it just the French?
                It is designed to be played as any civ. The French have a lot of the events because they are the main civ in the scenario.

2. Playing as the Americans: The USS Philadelphia event in Tripoli won't always work the way it probably should. My frigate by Derna lost the first time I played and won the second time. I lost a frigate by New Orleans the same turn and the text popup was triggered. In fact, everytime an American Frigate is killed by a pirate the event goes off. No biggee, just a continuity issue.
                I'm looking into sorting the Phileadelphia event out. This appears to be partly down to the pirate frigates ignoring everything and just fortifying. I'll correct the event.

3. I'm seeing the War Parties and Pirate Frigates fortifying. I passed by a Pirate frigate with a severly hurt American frigate and they didn't attack. The War Parties aren't attacking either
                What I'll probably end up doing is to make the ocean terrain unstackable which should force the Pirates to behave as intended. I'm still trying to figure out why this is happening but no luck so far

Maybe moving the warparties closer to the US cities will cause them to be more aggressive. If they do fortify then they at least do it near roads and other important squares, forcing the player get rid of them.

The only thing I miss is the invasion of Australia (couldn't find it in the events). I guess I will have to create one myself.
                A Napoleonic invasion of Australia? Could you tell me more? I couldn't find anything on wikipedia.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I read about it somewhere. To be honest I couldn't find any info on it online now. Maybe I just dreamt the whole thing?

Comment

Re: Re: The Age of Napoleon

Originally posted by Cyrion

Very interesting idea!
                    Thought of and done already, though
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Here's an updated version.

Moved the war parties so that they are deep in the US.

Sorted the Phileadelphia event. Two USN frigates moved directly in front of Derna and Tripoli so they are attacked. If one is sunk it will fit in better with the idea of Phileadelphia running aground.

Reduced number of pirate frigates. Hopefully less of them will mean that they can be a pain on the first couple of turns and stop fortifying all over the place.

Updated the icons. Icons for National Armoury and tech added. I still need an icon for the warehouses improvement. I'm using one taken from colonisation to represent food stores.

I've uploaded it on evro where there don't seem to be the corruption problems experienced on here. The one attached to my last post is the update:

Comment

Ok, in one of my history books I was able to found some info on the invasion of Australia. It says that Napoleon launched it to get to the Brits (well duh) and the French occupied southern parts of the continent, naming it "Terre Napoléon". After a while Napoleon abandoned this idea and the French left Australia. Keep in mind that at this time Australia was pretty much unknown, and IIRC it was now that it was stated that it was an island (anyone knows more on this?)

I couldn't actually find more sources that it was an army that landed. I found mentions of the Baudin expedition (1800-1804).

Comment

Great to see that this was finally put out there, Saladin!

And if in doubt for Australia, ask Case...
                          Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

The War parties (they're barbs, right?) fortify because the game engine recognizes the stackable terrain as a fortress. Barbs fortify in fortresses.

Given the behavior of barbs in fortresses, they might move if there were a leader unit stacked in the square with them.

How you manage that, though, I haven't a clue.
                            Lost in America.
                            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

really promising one! Napoloeon Age at Wordl Map! Great thing!

And even in SP it will take its time to bring Prussia to "Glanz und Glorie"!
                              Deutscher Meister 2004: WERDER BREMEN

Comment

Working...
                              X