What do you want in a Pitboss game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want in a Pitboss game?

Different kinds of multiplayer options in Civ IV can lend themselves to different kinds of games since they'll tend to draw a different sort of player temperment. The Small Pangea, Quick, Blazing Turns Gamespy game with 3 players is going to be a very different beast than the Huge Terra, Normal, 9 player PBEM. In the first they players will barely talk to each other, and in the second there might be several pages of diplomatic emails for every turn played.

Where does Pitboss fit in? Are the players who sign up for one of these looking for a game to win at all costs like so much MP? A role playing game to influence, like may happen in the Diplo Games? Something in the middle? Do these players tend to want balanced starts with access to all the metals for everyone? Enough Oil to ensure everybody has some, or maps that offer the possiblity for monopolies or duopolies for a few key resources? Would playing an Island Civ until Astronomy comes along, and seeing how things develop from that point be something that a Pitboss player is possibly going to enjoy? What if you have a neighbor in a continent like Australia, with no contact till the Middle Ages, but it's a 12 player game? Or should every player have a few neighbors at first? Or should we always have pangeas?

How do these things change if the game is advertised as having a few joint playing sessions, or as being nothing more than the storage for the save, to be played no more than once a day?

I'm interested in hearing about the kind of gaming experience that people want to get from Pitboss games, and about the experiences people in pitboss games have already had. I'll weigh in myself later on, but for now this post is long enough and has enough questions floating around for people to play with, I think.

-Fosse
Working...
X