Port Royale 2: Where is my wife??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Royale 2: Where is my wife??

Okay, I'm working on my first game of Port Royale 2, so I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I could use a hint.

I'm playing as an English trader out of San Juan. I'm married to the Governor's daughter there --but she's run off with some guardman to somewhere within 1 day's travel of Sasne (sp? -- a town on the Yucatan.) The Governor has charged me with the task of finding her.

Okay, so I've sailed to Sasne, checking out the nearby coastlines. I've check in the inn. No luck. I set sail to the southwest, checking all the towns and inns, all the way around the Gulf to the Florida Keys. I've sailed the other way, also checking out coastlines, towns (especially the inns) all the way to Margarite.

I'm at a loss as to why I can't find her or where to look for her next.

Any suggestions??

Sounds like you've been well and truely dumped!

Er so no i dont know, although i had mine kidnapped by pirates a few times. I just follwed the clues that usually lead to bars(try talking to different people?) and then lead me to a part of the map near a coast and the waiting pirate amarda.

But i think she just dumped yah - pretty bad luck and i think the govenor will not forgive you for losing his daughter!

I think they have some official forums if your really really stuck and cant live without her though?

Comment

There is a pirate base not too awfully far away...maybe even one day's sailing.

Avast there! Prepare the ships for battle! Hire sailors! Buy cannon! Load roundshot and grape! We sail to glory or death!

Comment

How does this game compare to Pirates?
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

El_Cid, it looks like you were right!

I launched an attack on the pirate base, capturing a pirate ship and knocking out two of their seven cannon towers. My two corvettes were then forced to break off and have pulled into a nearby city to make repairs.

I have a frigate coming up to join in, and it found a message floating in a bottle. It's from my wife and contains a map where she thinks she being taken to. It's the pirate base all right.

How does this game compare to Pirates?
          It's obviously inspired by Pirates. It's in the same area (the Carribean). There are the same four nations (Spain, England, France, and Holland==no Portugal). You can sail around trading or buy a Letter of Marque and attack nations your country is at war with. You can fight sea battles and land battles, pillaging towns. You can go on quests which you get from the Governor. You can court to Governor's daughter, who slips you information, and, as you can see from my OP, you can marry her. You gather pieces of a treasure maps from strangers sitting in inns.

There's a few more bells and whistles. E.g. you can operate many convoys at once. You can build factories in "governor towns" and manufacture rum, rope, clothing or meat. You can gamble in the inns. You can get blessings from the church and thereby gain morale for your convoy.

One weird thing is that the islands are not ruled as history records. I don't know whether it's just this game (this is my first one), but England controls just the Lesser Antilles, including Guadalupe and Martinque. France is located along the U.S. coastline from the Carolinas to Texas. Holland controls the Bahamas. Spain controls the Spanish Main (including Curacao), Mexico, Jamaca and Cuba.

Pirates is a tighter package; play is simplier and quicker. Port Royale 2 is more extensive, but that slows the pace of the game down.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Zkribbler. That country control setup sounds really bizarre to me, not that I'm an historical expert. The extra stuff sounds interesting but I'm not too sure about the slower pace. I've downloaded the demo and will try it out.
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Darn those pesky Pirates, always trying to break up a happy couple - the rotters! Anyway glad you found her

I've only played the first game(Port Royale) and the main problem became the quick escalation of the ship-to-ship combat and the amount of ships that start to sail on the main trade routes.

With ship-to-ship it becomes a major chore to fight every battle with full compliments of large ships on both sides(very unwieldy to control), and the auto-resolve option is handled very poorly so you feel forced to use the manual option.

With the saturated trade routes, it partialy damages the game atmosphere as it begins to resemble a motorway(interstate) in rush hour, and makes it virtualy impossible to pick out an individual ship in the mass of ships.

This was in the first version, so maybe its been addressed in Port Royale2?

Other than that i agree with all Zkribblers points about it vs Pirates! - its pretty good in all departments, just more detailed(like a city sim) with a great piratey atmosphere.

I think the starting period determines which nations control what towns, and if i've got my history right New Orleans was a french founded colony, and towns like Martinique often chaged hands over the course of this period as each old world power jostled for position? So i think the towns change ownership to reflect the particular time period?

A Good game(nearly great game) for sure, and Ascaron is a PC developer that deserves support imho

Comment

Holland controls the Bahamas.

Must disappoint you El_Cid. We never controled the Bahama's
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid
                  Anyway glad you found her
                  Trouble is, she's not in the pirates' lair (which I've eliminated ). She's undoubtedly in a British ship-of-the-line sailing nearby. How the frig am I supposed to beat that?! It's faster than any ship I have or can purchase; it has more guns and more sailors.

I took a whack at it last night with my military frigate, trying to clear the deck with grapeshot. But I was quickly boarded. "Casanova" challenged me to a duel, which I thought was great -- 1 on 1 is the best odds I can get on this guy. But he's a really good sword fighter and he skewered me with ease.
                  Last edited by Zkribbler; June 20, 2006, 11:37.

Comment

Erase, erase, erase....

I re-loaded and fought that last battle again. This time I was able to blast in the grapeshot. I reduced his crew enough that I was able to board and take that Ship of the Line. ... but no wife.

However, I found her floating on a raft nearby. She was abducted by Casanova, against her will. Well, at least that her story and I...uh...believe it. Yeah sure. I know that's what happened. Abuduction, sure.

Comment

Re: Port Royale 2: Where is my wife??

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                      Okay, I'm working on my first game of Port Royale 2, so I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I could use a hint.

I'm playing as an English trader out of San Juan. I'm married to the Governor's daughter there --but she's run off with some guardman to somewhere within 1 day's travel of Sasne (sp? -- a town on the Yucatan.) The Governor has charged me with the task of finding her.

Okay, so I've sailed to Sasne, checking out the nearby coastlines. I've check in the inn. No luck. I set sail to the southwest, checking all the towns and inns, all the way around the Gulf to the Florida Keys. I've sailed the other way, also checking out coastlines, towns (especially the inns) all the way to Margarite.

I'm at a loss as to why I can't find her or where to look for her next.

Any suggestions??
                      she ran off with the guardsman?

I would suggest finding a new wife, you don't want her anyway

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

But if he doesn't fix his underlying problems she'll run off as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                          But if he doesn't fix his underlying problems she'll run off as well.
                          Yeah, get on top next time - she might like that.

Comment

Always one to lower the tone.

Comment

Re: Re: Port Royale 2: Where is my wife??

Originally posted by Jon Miller

she ran off with the guardsman?

I would suggest finding a new wife, you don't want her anyway

JM
                              I know. It's like Tom Arnold said in True Lies:

Women...can't live with 'em...can't kill 'em.
                              But I had to find her and bring her back, or her daddy Governor would never give me another assignment.

Comment

Working...
                              X