Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand it like a man, and give some back: the "Deadwood" appreciation thread

[Swearengen]

Well, it seems as those hoopleheaded c*cks*ckers at HBO have decided that we, the people, are ripe for ass****ing, and have denied us the full ****ing four seasons that we were promised. Instead, we will have to content ourselves by suckling at the t*ts of a pair of two-hour movies. Apparently, those c*nts wouldn't know quality programming if it came up to them and sucked their ******.

In the meantime, with the third ****ing season starting tonight, let's enjoy the time we have left with the finest ****ing television program we'll likely to see in our entire, miserable ****ing lives.

[/Swearengen]
    Attached Files
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

It's absolutely fascinating which words aren't blocked by the autocensor.

Comment

"Swegin! Safracisco c*cksaka! You! Safracisco!"

"'Swegin' f*ckin' gets it. 'Swegin' doesn't give ... a f*ck!"
      Last edited by Darius871; June 11, 2006, 11:37.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

"Pain or damage don't end the world; or despair, or ****ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."

Comment

I've never seen it.
          B♭3

Comment

This is about a TV show, I'm fairly certain.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I don't have HBO.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Never saw it. Is it like the Family Guy portrayal?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

one too many ********ers for my taste (no pun intended)

Comment

Now THAT's how you scrub a f*cking bloodstain!
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

I came across a good review of the first 4 episodes at IMDB for anyone interested; it's semi-spoilerish but only broad themes that were easy to predict.

Spoiler:
                      By BRIAN LOWRY

Elevated to a cause celebre among fans by virtue of its pending extinction, the third season of "Deadwood" jumbles the characters and introduces a new dynamic, pitting its once-warring titans -- saloonkeeper Al Swearengen and sheriff Seth Bullock -- against another real-life figure, mining magnate George Hearst. After a slow-going premiere, series kicks into another gear in the next four episodes previewed, mixing brutality, scheming and the sheer poetry of David Milch's nothing-else-quite-like-it dialogue. With HBO's Western melodrama now fated to become a morsel for Wu's carnivorous pigs after a pair of wrap-up movies, it's destined to go out in style.

Unlike most dramas that juggle A and B plots, Milch's 1870s Western operates in the A through K range, requiring at least an episode to become reacquainted with the show's intricate web of characters (HBO's release lists 27 of them). Indeed, despite having watched every episode there are elements that still have me a little addled.

This season, however, features a more cohesive thrust thanks to Hearst (Gerald McRaney), whose arrival poses a threat not only to Swearengen (the consistently brilliant Ian McShane) as the camp's most ruthless bastard but also the authority of Swearengen's former nemesis, Bullock (Timothy Olyphant).

Determined to consolidate his holdings in this Dakota Territory mining camp, Hearst enters into a bizarre chess match with Swearengen, who joins with Bullock as an unlikely ally. For everything that's transpiring (and there's quite a lot), this confrontation provides a more intoxicating hook than the second season, which kept piling on new characters with impunity.

That isn't to say there aren't other pleasures to be found, from the booze-addled Calamity Jane (Robin Weigert) addressing a class of schoolchildren to Bullock and his Jewish partner Sol Star (John Hawkes) running for office -- the latter against incumbent mayor E.B. Farnum (the hilarious William Sanderson), who responds to the challenge with a brazenly anti-Semitic election speech.

At the same time, the wealthy Alma Garret (Molly Parker) is carrying Bullock's baby but has wed the genial if awkward Ellsworth (Jim Beaver) to give the child a name. With Hearst coveting her mine claim, Garret's difficult pregnancy fuels uncertainty regarding her ability to keep him at bay.

Seldom has any series been this densely layered, sometimes to its detriment. It's that level of storytelling, more than the colorfully coarse language, which sets the show apart -- though there's also a fight in a later episode so grisly anyone remotely squeamish will likely be fumbling for the remote.

Nevertheless, under Milch's unwavering hand "Deadwood" remains a series like none other. Buoyed by a top-flight cast newly augmented by Brian Cox as an old chum of Swearengen's, the show is rife with sly humor while presenting a glimpse of the West that extends beyond mere revisionism, creating a living 19th century community populated by entrepreneurs, thugs and whores, in roughly that order.

In such an environment, life is cheap and can be snuffed out at a moment's notice, whether out of malice, caprice or simply bad timing.

Kind of like TV.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...&categoryid=32
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

It's Lovejoy!
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Bullock beating the **** out of Farnum is the new high water mark for television this year.

Comment

Guynemer, you c**ksucker! First you ****ing make me revive an old ****ing thread and second, because this ****ing thread made me ****ing dow... ehh, got hold off the ****ing first two seasons and then, instead of going out and find me some ****ing p***y, make me ****ing spend this whole ****ing weekend watching it. You ass****ing ****

Thanks you c**ksucker
                            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                            And notifying the next of kin
                            Once again...

Comment

Deadwood

Hell yeah, Season 3 is kicking ass already! Man, that Hearst is one mean son of a *****. Kick his ass Sweringen!

Actually on second thought, I'd love to see Ellsworth take revenge on Heast.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X