This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ljube
    One more question snoopy. Are you behind Golden Bear's deletion of a good part of his chronicles? Are you the one who asked him to do it?
    No, that was entirely his own personal decision. Had he continued it into the actual gameplay, he would have had to either remove it from 'reality' (ie, make it entirely fictional) or ensure that his posts didn't contain any information about his start or real-life events other than those that are public knowledge.
    Last edited by snoopy369; June 17, 2006, 13:13.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

C3CDG was a small pangea. This map is continents. It may take a while (possibly a year or two with the slow pace of the game) until posting restrictions are lifted. By then we may lose many players who are in this game for demo gaming, team-play, but also for some role-playing.
      Then do that role playing in inter-team discussions, or in your own forum. Again, there had been no objection to the prohibition of out of game contact prior to in game contact, that is a rule that most DGs that i've seen have and there had been no interest in changing that for this game, so there it is. With that rule in place, no posts may be made that contain information that is not public knowledge.

That doesn't forbid you from posting in the public forum things that are public knowledge, as I'd stated earlier, or about the game itself (like this thread).

Ljube, i don't consider this 'my' rule, in any event. This is what was agreed on before the game. If it's going to change, the majority of teams would have to desire that to change ... so please leave it alone, unless other teams are going to support this change.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yes, but then I can't post anything about an ongoing war for instance. I can't post if we won a battle or lost it, what the casualties on both sides were, if we took a city or failed to do it, if we lost a city or successfully defended it, if the two sides were treacherous or true to their word.

All these things that naturally go into the public forum are now prohibited. And for what reason? No other than "a natural extension of the rule that teams may not contact each other until they have contact in game". I think that this justification is inadequate particularly in that it tries to defend a rule that limits the right of participants in a demo game to voice their views and opinions about the ongoing game.
        They naturally go into the public forum because, once all teams have contact, it's easier to do than sending things out to every other team.

There is nothing preventing you from sending out such news and commentary to those civs the Horde has actually contacted.

Furthermore I disagree that the rule is "a natural extension of the rule that teams may not contact each other until they have contact in game", because I would never contact somebody with whom I have no contact in-game (what would be the point of that?),
        The point? There's tons of potential deals waiting for all of us out there if we were suddenly allowed to contact teams we haven't met in game. What does your terrain look like so we can try to find each other? Do you plan to found Judaism too and if so can we work out a deal rather than both rushing headlong for it? What wonders do you plan to build, can we work out spheres of influence on those too?

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
          The point? There's tons of potential deals waiting for all of us out there if we were suddenly allowed to contact teams we haven't met in game. What does your terrain look like so we can try to find each other? Do you plan to found Judaism too and if so can we work out a deal rather than both rushing headlong for it? What wonders do you plan to build, can we work out spheres of influence on those too?

It is ridiculous to prohibit these arrangements between teams that haven't met in-game and to allow them between teams that have met in-game.

In any case these prohibitions cannot be policed, so they are pointless, as any two teams can establish contact using an alternative channel. This only puts those teams that are fooled by snoopy's explanations, or foolish enough to believe that others will not "cheat" in a very disadvantageous position.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            That doesn't forbid you from posting in the public forum things that are public knowledge, as I'd stated earlier, or about the game itself (like this thread).

What would be the point of posting something that is common knowledge? No discussion there. The topic would last a few weeks and then slip into oblivion.

I post in this thread to try to defend basic human rights guaranteed by all democratic constitutions in the world and one of them is freedom of speech.

Comment

freedom of speech it is for me I will post if I so wish to, this rule seems punitive and a hangover from c3cdg.

You simply cannot prevent people from using this forum for roleplay or any other form of discussion about the game we are all in.

You may be a admin for the game but you are not god !!

I said it earlier and Ill say it again this is nothing more than a blatant attempt to stifle the game for some of us, and I certainly never agreed to the closing down of roleplaying and I know my team did not either.

As for Golden Bears chronicles frankly im baffled, I fail to see what harm they could have done to any team, will this also mean we cannot have a newspaper etc ? popycock !
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Stop and think.

Do you seriously think snoopy has an agenda of stifling the DG? Do you think Apolyton has a constitution? Snoopy already said he didn't go after Golden Bear, and upon looking at his thread, I see no reason to doubt him.

It is entirely legitimate to prohibit collusion between teams that haven't met and allow it between teams that have - that's the whole point of making contact! As far as back-alley negotiations via email or other forums, I hail from the Alpha Centauri section of Apolyton. Alpha Centauri, despite being an excellent game, is heavily bugged, to the extent that anyone who wants to cheat can do so as long as they don't overreach. This is rarely a problem because it is a GAME, and nothing more. As far as this DG, cheating would be even harder because either you let your team in on it, and someone blows the whistle, or you don't, but can't explain your decisions.
                "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                  It is entirely legitimate to prohibit collusion between teams that haven't met and allow it between teams that have - that's the whole point of making contact!

I think that the whole point of making contact is realisation of said collusion. You can collude all you want, but until you make contact you cannot profit from it.

Comment

Do you seriously think snoopy has an agenda of stifling the DG?

It certainly does appear so to me. Snoopy defined the rules and in doing so needlessly limited the rights of people to post in the public forum. Since he failed to explain to me why he did it, I can only assume that he did it on purpose and for some hidden agenda. It is most likely his attempt to prevent threads containing offensive language like some of the threads we had in C3CDG. Although I fully support his likely aim, I most vigorously oppose the means he employed.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Ljube, i don't consider this 'my' rule, in any event. This is what was agreed on before the game. If it's going to change, the majority of teams would have to desire that to change ... so please leave it alone, unless other teams are going to support this change.

Snoopy, this is not what we agreed on before the game. We agreed on "No team may have game-related discussions with a team they have not met in game", but we did not agree on your "natural extension". It is pretentious to make such extensions of the rules.

Posting in public forum does not equate with contact between teams as that what is posted is not necessarily aimed at one particular team and is posted for the benefit of all. Hence it does not contradict the rule "No team may have game-related discussions with a team they have not met in game", because it would not represent game-related discussions between teams, but between demo game members and for only one purpose - to have fun.

Comment

I think that the whole point of making contact is realisation of said collusion. You can collude all you want, but until you make contact you cannot profit from it.
                        We agreed on "No team may have game-related discussions with a team they have not met in game"
                        These two bits contradict.

Could you tell us which one you yourself and your team intend to go by?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Since he failed to explain to me why he did it, I can only assume that he did it on purpose and for some hidden agenda.
                          That's a stupid assumption. Not everything you don't understand is deliberately hidden. Give him the benefit of the doubt, at least.
                          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                          -BBC news

Comment

My team plans to avoid any contact with teams we have not met in-game. I plan to post things about our civilisation and its interaction with others irrespective of the fact whether all teams have met each other or not.

Comment

That's a stupid assumption. Not everything you don't understand is deliberately hidden. Give him the benefit of the doubt, at least.

He made no effort to explain his rules. Of course, not everybody is equally smart.

Comment

In any case these prohibitions cannot be policed, so they are pointless, as any two teams can establish contact using an alternative channel. This only puts those teams that are fooled by snoopy's explanations, or foolish enough to believe that others will not "cheat" in a very disadvantageous position.
                                It is foolish to have any rules then. May the best cheater win if "policing" must become anything but a last resort.

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
                                As for Golden Bears chronicles frankly im baffled, I fail to see what harm they could have done to any team, will this also mean we cannot have a newspaper etc ? popycock !
                                Snoopy already said he had no problem with GB's chronicles so far as they had been written, and would continue not having a problem so long as they didn't reveal specific details about Sarantium's position.

Comment

Working...
                                X