AOM all versiosns: King is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOM all versiosns: King is dead

Hi i've played AOM I and II and now III for some time now. I every single version i have aproblem with the event King is dead. I have started my empire with no king and have not research dynasty. But at some point of in the early game (still without dynsty or king), i get the King is dead event when i never had any king or changed my governmet to dynasty. I think it should trigered only when you actually change goverment to dynasty and your first king dies.

And I had an other problem with the dysnasty problem: even if i have king, he tells me that my dynasty and king have ruled for 0 turns even if they have been there for 1o turns.

Thx again for any help about this issue

The normal course of the game is that you get a free King when you research Dynasty. The readme stresses you should endeavour to research dynasty before turn 120.

After that you get a king is dead event when he reaches his age limit. Bear in mind, the King does not begin to age till turn 120 (and therefore the counter does not begin) and no events should be triggered before turn 159 (the earliest date for a possible rebellion if you have had 2 kIngs all the time), or a king dies at the earliest date.

In AOM I, there was a problem with the King counter but since then, I have never had trouble with it and no one has reported anything for months.

Comment

Just one more question about the King system:

How do I Marry my Princess? And to whom?
      Can I change government and forget about the dynasty issue of having a King?

Thx for the help again

Comment

To marry the Princess into your own empire, just disband her in any city. You get the production boost and +1 happiness for 10 turns.

To marry her to another empire and possibly get the city, have her try a conversion attempt on that city. If successful and you have enough gold, the city joins you. So use her wisely. I tend to use her in this role a little later as you don't want isolated cities to defend, targetting a city with resources or a good defensive position.

Succession is a key part of the game. Until you get to Democracy (late middle ages) you must have your King.

Comment

thx for the reply

Comment

I haven't got very far yet, in AOM III, which came out while I was also in a preliminary stage learning AOM II. (I'm restarting when my position gets bad due to barbs or AI as I want to understand the early game thoroughly before moving on.) The only alternative government I've seen early, is "City States," which has a higher city cap, but for some tradeoffs in efficiency I don't like. I think next time I'd like to just keep "Dynasty" until something better comes along.

From what Stan says above, it appears you keep a king, even with "City States." This probably reflects Alexander's short Greek dynasty or something like medieval France, where the cities had much power, but there was still something of a "king." Either way, I don't think the King is that bad. Even though I'm not sure I've seen the promised warning at King's Life 30, (maybe because I'm monkeying with difficulty levels,) it isn't that hard to keep track of and start your next one. One time, I did have the old King die on me, the Message Sage warned of dire consequences to the Empire, then my new King was finished the next turn and none of the "dire" occurred. Actually though, I think it let me "rush-build" him. Not sure of the historical basis for that part, but it did solve the problem.
            You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

i rush to dynasty every game, just so many benefits

Tribunal empire just owns, once i reach tribunal empire, i wont change for a very long time. Its better than Dark Ages governments too, so keep it unless you need your special units

the above is based on AOM 1 and 2

i think the king succession more or less represent the idea of divine rights (medieval) or heaven's mandate (China), that government rise and fall, within the same power, but democracy (the obvious symbol of modern) elimates instability in government, and thus succession problems

unless you can build kings in just a few turns its better to not wait for a warning, its important the build order accomidates it

Comment

The succession issue is summed up pretty well.

If you are without a king from turn 120 to democracy, you have a -3 happiness hit and a 1 in 6 chance of a rebellion each turn. So even if it happens, it is not necessarily a total disaster but you need to remedy it real quick. A rebellion on top of no King gives you a -5 happiness hit.

Even Greek city states always had a strong man (like Pericles or Themistorcles), or even a King (in the case of Sparta).

Comment

Working...
                X