Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College students found dead inside balloon

DARWIN AWARD!

LUTZ, Fla. - Two college students were found dead inside a large, deflated helium balloon after apparently pulling it down and crawling inside it, officials said.

The deaths of Jason Ackerman and Sara Rydman, both 21, appear to be accidental, Hillsborough County Sheriff's Maj. Bob Schrader said.

Their bodies were found Saturday partially inside a deflated helium balloon at the entrance of a condominium complex a few miles north of Tampa. The 8-foot-diameter balloon was used to advertise the complex.

"It was more a fun thing they thought they were doing," said Linda Rydman, whose daughter was found dead. "You know how you blow up the balloon and suck the helium."

The county medical examiner said Sunday that the cause of death won't be released for six weeks, until toxicology results come back.

Inhaling helium can quickly lead to brain damage and death from lack of oxygen, according to the Compressed Gas Association, which develops safety standards in the gas industry.

Inhaling helium can quickly lead to brain damage and death from lack of oxygen, according to the Compressed Gas Association, which develops safety standards in the gas industry.
    That should have said, "inhaling pure helium can quickly lead to brain damage and death from lack of oxygen."

Helium is non toxic. But breathing it instead of oxygen is not a good idea.

Comment

Families will launch, and win, massive lawsuits.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

balloons will now have safety warnings printed on them.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I went to a cancer relay for hope thingy the other day, and they had dozens of buses shutling people in from the parking lot, running all night long for probably 14 hours straight guzzling boat loads of gas, and then they released a couple hundred balloons into the sky and shot off fire works. Rampant pollution is a sure fire way of stoping cancer.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

They replaced their oxygen with helium...I wonder if they weighed less after? Then again, I don't really care.

At least the corpses didn't start floating around, scaring the ladies.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I think that people don't really understand why inhaling stuff gets you high.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Who needs education ? I know my bible and that will save my soul and protect me against any evil.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                X