Stealth Nation Technology failing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth Nation Technology failing?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 3, 2006
    17 Terror Suspects Arrested in Toronto
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Filed at 12:42 p.m. ET

TORONTO (AP) -- Canadian authorities said Saturday they had foiled plans for terrorist attacks in southern Ontario with the arrests of 17 people who were ''inspired by al-Qaida.''

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said they had arrested 12 male adults and five youths on terrorism-related charges, including plotting attacks with explosives on Canadian targets. The suspects were either citizens or residents of Canada and had trained together, they said.

''This group took steps to acquire three tons of ammonium nitrate and other components necessary to create explosive devices,'' said assistant Royal Canadian Mounted Police commissioner Mike McDonell.

That is three times the amount used to blow up the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, he said, referring to the April 19, 1995, attack that killed 168 people and injured more than 800.

''The men arrested yesterday are Canadian residents from a variety of backgrounds. For various reasons, they appeared to have become adherents of a violent ideology inspired by al-Qaida,'' said Luc Portelance, the assistant director of operations with CSIS -- Canada's spy agency.

However, he said, there did not appear to be any direct link to Osama bin Laden's terrorist network.

Officials showed evidence of bomb making materials -- including a cell phone-bomb detonator -- a computer hard drive, camouflage uniforms and what appeared to be a door with bullet holes in it at a news conference Saturday.

The arrests were made Friday and about 400 officers were involved in the operation.

Heavily armed police ringed the Durham Regional Police Station in the city of Pickering, just east of Toronto, as the suspects were brought in late Friday night in unmarked cars driven into an underground garage.

The Toronto Star reported Saturday that Canadian youths in their teens and 20s, upset at the treatment of Muslims worldwide, were among those arrested.

The newspaper said they had trained at a camp north of Toronto and had plotted to attack the Canadian spy agency's downtown Toronto office, among other targets in Ontario province.

In March 2004, Ottawa software developer Mohammad Momin Khawaja became the first Canadian charged under the country's Anti-Terrorism Act. Khawaja was also named, but not charged, in Britain for playing a role in a foiled bomb plot. He is being held in an Ottawa detention center, awaiting trial.

The Canadian anti-terrorism law was passed swiftly following the Sept. 11 assaults, particularly after bin-Laden named Canada as one of five so-called Christian nations that should be targeted for terror attacks.

The other four countries, reaffirmed in 2004 by his al-Qaida network, were the United States, Britain, Spain and Australian, all of which have been targeted in terrorist attacks.

The anti-terrorism law permits the government to brand individuals and organizations as terrorists and gives police the power to make preventive arrests of people suspected of planning attacks.

Though many view Canada as an unassuming neutral nation that has skirted terrorist attacks, it has suffered its share of aggression, including the 1985 Air India bombing, in which 329 people were killed, most of them Canadian citizens.

Intelligence officials suspect at least 50 terror groups now have some presence in the North American nation and have long complained that the country's immigration laws and border security are too weak to weed out potential terrorists.
    The thread title is a reference to a quote that until recently was in my sig.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

A hurray for the Canadian Mounted Police, but please tell me why they still haven't caught Asher
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

SNT still seems to be working. These were home brewed loonies.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
        A hurray for the Canadian Mounted Police, but please tell me why they still haven't caught Asher
        Asher seriously considered responding to recruitment offers from CSIS, but found the pay sucked.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Asher seriously considered responding to recruitment offers from CSIS, but found the pay sucked.
          Are you saying that you denied to be trained in crucial things like tree hugging, lone protector of the law, etc ? What kind of a canuck are you ?

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You know, prior to this article, I didn't even know what the Canadian spy agency was called... guess they were that good
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

"
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Good for Canadia.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Pickering, eh?

I like how every location in the article is described by its relative location to Toronto.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Re: Stealth Nation Technology failing?!

*bows
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Intelligence officials suspect at least 50 terror groups now have some presence in the North American nation and have long complained that the country's immigration laws and border security are too weak to weed out potential terrorists.
                      border security eh? It would seem the only way Canada will effectively prevent future attacks will be to tighten up it's border to more effectively snatch all those terrorists sneaking in from the US.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                        Pickering, eh?

I like how every location in the article is described by its relative location to Toronto.
                        Would it have made more sense to describe a suburb of Toronto with something like "Pickering, 4500km east of Vancouver and 480 km west of Montreal"?
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

border security eh? It would seem the only way Canada will effectively prevent future attacks will be to tighten up it's border to more effectively snatch all those terrorists sneaking in from the US.
                          The suspects are all Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

The suspects are all Canadian.
                            yes. and yet the article concludes with talk about the need to tighten border security. i just thought that was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

yes. and yet the article concludes with talk about the need to tighten border security. i just thought that was funny.
                              Oh, yeah.

Borders would also inlude airport customs, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X