no arial view of city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no arial view of city

I bought CIV ToT a couple of months ago (my first CIV II experience) and have been impressed with most of the improvements in the scope of the game, if somewhat annoyed by the new graphics (as was discussed in depth here) however two of my favorite "bells and whistles" are gone: watching my palace and my cities being built. I especially loved my large cities, laden with Wonders and other impressive structures.

Any reasons or discussion as to why they were removed? True, it was somewhat buggy in the original, (anyone ever have their Wonders "sink" ) but it was still more than worth it.

I searched for a discussion thread about this, but I didn't find any. If there is one, please point me in it's direction.

-Charles

CivII:ToT is an upgrade from Civ I for me too.

I liked those, So I might fix it in my upcoming (Hopefully) Civ 1+!
    Test of Time
    Buy it now!

Comment

No Wonder movies, no animated emissaries, no city council to consult... etc

I believe that the designers dropped a number of these graphical elements in order to save disk space. They were seemingly under a test of time of their own trying to get the game finished by a deadline, and considered these to err on the superfluous end of the spectrum.

Most Civ1 people have complained about the end game replay (or the lack thereof), where a replay was run of the tribe boundaries that shifted over the duration of the game - a feature of SMAC.
      [This message has been edited by Cam (edited July 16, 2000).]

Comment

You're right, I'd forgotten about the end-game replay, that was a really cool feature, and it wouldn't be all that graphics intensive. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one that had a problem with this. I was beginning to think that I had a hobbled version or something because I hadn't seen any discussion about it.

-Charles

Comment

Civ 2 ToT's endings and graphics are based on the original Civ 2.

*Instead of a palace, you have a throne room - both omitted from ToT.
          *The city view is in both versions - the Civ 2 version containing less comical graphics and mor improvements to be shown - both ommited from ToT.
          *Civ 1 had the tribe biundary ending, Civ 2 has the PowerGraph (totally worthless) - the graph is in Civ ToT.
          *Civ 1's military conquest ending had a picture, Civ 2 had a better picture, ToT has a movie.
          Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
          Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
          Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
          und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
          Only when it's smooth you will see
          How much fairy-tale is left for you
          And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

Working...
          X