The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Don't you think the Bush Administration is taking this to extremes...

Somalis protest at US 'backing'

Since the 11 September attacks on the United States more than four years ago, Somalis have feared that their lawless country could become the setting for a battle between US-backed anti-terror forces and al-Qaeda sympathisers.

Now it seems as though their worst fears may be coming true.

The capital, Mogadishu, has been rocked by the worst violence in almost a decade, leaving at least 120 people dead.

Hundreds of people have fled their homes as the rival militia clashed with mortars and anti-aircraft guns.

The few private hospitals still operating are unable to cope with the deluge of people injured in the fighting.

The fighting is between the Islamic Courts' militia, which wants to set up Sharia law to end the years of anarchy, and a coalition of the warlords who have devastated the country, fighting for control in the 15 years since there was last an effective national government.

Facts and figures about life in Somalia

At-a-glance

President Abdullahi Yusuf, who only controls a small part of the country, has said the warlords are being funded by the United States, as part of their war on terror.

Many Somalis agree with him, after the warlords, who had been rivals for many years, this year formed the Alliance for the Restoration of Peace and Counter-Terrorism.

The US has neither denied nor confirmed these reports but it says it would "work with responsible individuals... in fighting terror" and warned that it was very worried that lawless Somalia could become a safe haven for terror networks.

A US anti-terror task force is based in nearby Djibouti.

The warlords - Mohammed Deere, Mohammed Qanyare and Bashir Rageh - and their business allies control large parts of Mogadishu and crucially the airstrips around the capital.

It is always difficult to know exactly what is going on in a country with no central authority. Some analysts say the fighting may also be over business rivalries between militia leaders.

Conflict deepens

The BBC's Hassan Barise in Somalia says the latest fighting is the worst seen in Mogadishu for almost a decade - since the aftermath of the last US intervention in the country and the death of warlord Mohammed Aideed.

To make matters worse, the fighting has come at a time when there seemed finally to be some progress in Somalia's snail-like peace process.

A Somali girl holds up a flower
    Most people are just desperate to be able to go about their daily lives without the fear of being killed by a stray mortar

Eyewitness: 'Waiting to die'
    More than a year after a new parliament and president were sworn in in neighbouring Kenya, the MPs finally started their first meeting on Somali soil in February - just a week after the fighting between the Islamic Courts and the warlords first started.

A diplomat following the Somali peace process told the BBC News website that the fighting was a "serious blow", which has overshadowed the parliamentary session in the town of Baidoa.

"Three of those involved should be in Baidoa but instead they are fighting in Mogadishu," he said.

President Yusuf has long argued that Mogadishu is too dangerous to host the government. He has set himself up in Jowhar, 90km north of the capital, to the concern of some MPs, led by Speaker of Parliament Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan.

They say the president does not have the authority to move Somalia's capital.

This latest fighting only makes it more difficult to set up a government in Mogadishu and puts backwards the date when Somali can again be a "normal" country.

Mr Yusuf says the US funding of the warlords, who have never welcomed him, is not helpful and should instead be channelled through his fledgling government.

Arms bazaar

Some Somalis back the Islamic Courts for doing something to establish law and order in a country where the law of the gun has long held sway.

But the warlords, and others, say the Islamists are also behind a series of targeted assassinations of prominent figures, including a peace activist and senior military officials.

US troops stationed in the Horn of Africa
    A US anti-terror base is as close as it could be to Somalia

Many of the Somalis killed are those who had argued in favour of a foreign peacekeeping force in Somalia - an idea strongly rejected by the Islamists.

The warlords further accuse the Islamic Courts of sheltering a Sudanese man, known as Zuweydan, wanted by the US as a terror suspect.

Western diplomats have long said that Somalia was home to training camps for Islamic radicals.

In a country without a government, a group with enough money can do just about anything it wants.

Weapons are easily available in Mogadishu's arms bazaar.

Last year the International Crisis Group, a political think-tank, reported that: "In the rubble-strewn streets of the ruined capital of this state without a government... al-Qaeda operatives, jihadi extremists, Ethiopian security services and Western-backed counter-terrorism networks are engaged in a shadowy and complex contest waged by intimidation, abduction and assassination."

Islamist sentiments

One of the key figures in the Islamic Courts, Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys, who is wanted by the US, denies the existence of training camps in Somalia.

But he told the BBC News website he has sympathy for the "Muhajadeen who are fighting back" against attacks by the US and their allies around the world.

On the streets of Mogadishu, many distrust the Islamic Courts but also have little time for the warlords who have ruined their country, or for the US, which they see as oppressing Muslims.

The thousands living as refugees, in tents or wooden shelters erected on waste ground or in derelict buildings, are desperate for more permanent shelter, and for schools and clinics.

Before then, however, most people are just desperate to be able to go about their daily lives without the fear of being killed by a stray mortar.
    One of the Warlords being funded by the US is Hussain Aideed, the son of the guy responsible for the US getting its ass handed to it back in the '90's - I bet the men that died during the 'Blackhawk Down' incident must be turning in their graves to know that Bush is cozying up to the very thugs that killed them...:rollingoverintheirgraves!:

Frankly it all makes me laugh how the US can pretend to claim that invading Iraq was some kind of humanitarian mission after letting the open wound of Somalia suppurate for the last decade or so...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

I'm sure an extremest moslem government would bring peace and prosperity for all. Darn Bush for holding them back! Darn him!
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Well if the Yanks didn't cut and run in the 1st place, perhaps Somalia wouldn't be the basket case it is now...?

But then if you remember, the core membership of Al-Qaeda is made up of people who were funded by the CIA - so I guess the US working with the Warlords is sort of coming around full-circle...

Comment

Niether government is going to be worth a damn. The warlords are going to oppress the people in the name of power and profit, the muslims are going to oppress them in the name of power and prophet.

Really, what's the difference? Support the enemy of your enemy instead of the friend of your enemy.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Well I guess you're right - the US certainly doesn't seem to give a **** who its enemies are as long as it has someone to fight...

But don't you see the irony of it all, I mean another twenty years down the line who's to say the US won't be allied to the Islamists...

Comment

Re: The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Originally posted by MOBIUS
            getting its ass handed to it back in the '90's
            what exactly does this phrase mean in your world?

Comment

I always thought that Hussein Aideed was the best thing that could happen for Somalia. Look at his CV for instance, seems like a reasonable man. The US should be happy to invest in him.

from Wiki:

Hussein Mohamed Farrah (born August 16, 1962 in Beledweyne, Somalia) is the son of Mohamed Farrah Aidid. Farrah immigrated to the United States when he was 14 years old and attended Covina High School, Covina, California, graduating in 1981. In April 1987, he joined the United States Marine Corps. He became a naturalized US citizen and remained in the United States until age 30.

It is reported[1] that on August 3, 1996, two days after his father's death, the Habr Gidr clan selected him to become the new president of Somalia. Farrah is seen by the West as a chance of improvement for the relationships between them and Somalia. When asked about his Marine days, Farrah replied: "Once a Marine, always a Marine." He is believed to currently reside in Ethiopia.

go Hussein
              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                Well if the Yanks didn't cut and run in the 1st place, perhaps Somalia wouldn't be the basket case it is now...?

But then if you remember, the core membership of Al-Qaeda is made up of people who were funded by the CIA - so I guess the US working with the Warlords is sort of coming around full-circle...

So much for your obsession with bashing only Bush when things go wrong.

Wasn't it during the Clinton administration that we pulled out of Somolia?
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                X