New PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my email is mr (dot) mark (dot) andersen (at) gmail (dot) com
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Originally posted by Metaliturtle
      DrDeke, my fiancee and I are looking at her going to grad school in Ann Arbor, what is the campus like?
      Ehh, I'd say the campus is "alright". Most people seem to like it a lot better than I do for some reason . North campus is the worst part; it is more or less a gulag where they stick the art, music, architecture, and engineering students. That may be a harsh description, but it seems fitting at times. I'm an engineer myself so I'm not just knocking engineering students to make myself feel better about my "underwater fire prevention" major, but a lot of the people on north campus just don't seem to posess the basic skills neccessary for living in a civilized culture; skills such as taking a shower at least every 2-3 days, throwing garbage in garbage bins instead of sinks and the floor, wearing deodorant if needed, being able to relieve oneself IN the toilet instead of on the bathroom floor, and so on.

Ok, I guess that paints a pretty bad picture and I'm sure the problems are not unique to our campus. It's really not that bad, and central campus is considerably more appealing than north campus.

What is your fiancee going to be studying? If I have an opinion on whatever department she'd be going into, I'll be happy to share it .

-DrDeke

Comment

Looking at a Masters of Social Work, so either the Psychology/Sociology departments unless there is a separate Social Work department
        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Hmm... We do have a School of Social Work. I've never taken any of their classes but I have known a couple of people in the social work program and they seemed to think quite highly of it.

I am/was an undergraduate engineering student so I don't necessarily have a lot of ground to comment on graduate programs, but on the undergrad level, I have a MUCH higher opinion of the University's humanities and social sciences programs than the math, engineering and "hard science" programs. I think part of the reason for this is that it is easier to find faculty and graduate instructors who are at least a little bit interested in teaching and talking about hum/ss subjects to undergrads than math and engineering subjects.

Overall, I would encourage people to come here to study humanities and social sciences related subjects like social work without reservation.

-DrDeke

Comment

DrDeke, your school was ranked 1st in the country in social work

I'll let her know your outstanding review though. If you could send any other info to my email I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X