Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands you never thought you would ever like but have come around to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bands you never thought you would ever like but have come around to.

Last night at work they played an ELO tune. Excellent. Don't recall the name of it...

I've resolved to hunt through a sale bin or two and see if I can come up with a best of CD.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I have most. So... let me know. I saw them in California in about, oooh, 1977. Beautiful.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Thanks Sloww, I appreciate that. Digging through those bins gives me something to do while Dolores is trying on shoes however.

Must be great memories of that concert...

Comment

ELO has a very distinctive sound. Turning to Stone is my favorite song, though Showdown is pretty cool too.

As for me, I never thought I would appreciate Eminem. Mostly because I don't like rap music in general, but also because he seemed like an annoying, homophobic, misogynistic tool. Surprisingly, his music is actually good. It's nothing I would ever buy or download for myself, but it's interesting and quite good. Kim is a brutal expression of rage, very scary. (And scary is good!)

Comment

For me this encompasses a whole category: disco.

I was in high school in the late seventies, when disco and rock seemed to be separate religions -- it was logically and spiritually impossible to believe in both. And like many a pasty-faced white boy from Chicago (home of Comiskey Park, site of the infamous 1979 Disco Demolition riot), I was firmly in the rock camp.

Today, though, if I happen to hear Stayin' Alive, or Car Wash, or You Sexy Thing (best. baseline. ever.), or I Will Survive (which should be our national anthem: pretty much the same themes as the Star Spangled Banner -- think about it -- but way, way more fun to sing at a ballgame), I'm really, really happy.

My 15-year-old self would be appalled. But no more appalled than my adult self is at having once owned Kansas albums.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Depeche Mode.
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Patsy Cline.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Rufus, you're getting old dude...

Oh god, I now have a mental image of Rufus doing a Travolta on the dance-floor.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                  Rufus, you're getting old dude...

Oh god, I now have a mental image of Rufus doing a Travolta on the dance-floor.
                  I am old; it makes me tired just to think about doing that...
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Re: Bands you never thought you would ever like but have come around to.

Originally posted by Lancer
                    Last night at work they played an ELO tune. Excellent. Don't recall the name of it...

I've resolved to hunt through a sale bin or two and see if I can come up with a best of CD.
                    There's a tremendous video of them doing their reunion tour (or whatever they called it) concert available on DVD. A must see, as it has all of their hits and they sound very good.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                      For me this encompasses a whole category: disco.

I was in high school in the late seventies, when disco and rock seemed to be separate religions -- it was logically and spiritually impossible to believe in both. And like many a pasty-faced white boy from Chicago (home of Comiskey Park, site of the infamous 1979 Disco Demolition riot), I was firmly in the rock camp.

Today, though, if I happen to hear Stayin' Alive, or Car Wash, or You Sexy Thing (best. baseline. ever.), or I Will Survive (which should be our national anthem: pretty much the same themes as the Star Spangled Banner -- think about it -- but way, way more fun to sing at a ballgame), I'm really, really happy.

My 15-year-old self would be appalled. But no more appalled than my adult self is at having once owned Kansas albums.
                      Goodbye sister Disco!

I'm from the same region and era as you, and feel the same way to some extent. I like a lot of that funky pop that came out back then, though I didn't like it as much years ago. Now I have Kool and the Gang, Ohio Players etc. albums, which would have been unthinkable for me back in the day. I was firmly in the Rock camp, though I preferred Art Rock and Fusion to some of the more popular stuff like Kansas. I did buy the best of Kansas just this year, as there is a lot of nostalgia value there due to the huge amount of radio play their first couple of albums got. But I found it disappointing and don't expect to listen to it very often.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I...I hava a confession to make...

I like ABBA

Comment

then you are gay.

I have never really heard any of their songs except for the one in the commercial advertising the Vegas show Mamma Mia. I think it's called dancing queen or something. That song is okay. I'd listen to it if my girlfriend liked it. That's about the only way I'd purposely listen to it.

I've always liked ELO. At least their radio hits. But they aren't really a band I'd go out and buy their CD. I have some songs on my hard drive though. Don't bring me down is probably my favourite. Turn to stone is also good. oh and Fire on high.

Comment

I knew I should have never admitted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

Goodbye sister Disco!
                              Man, I forgot that song existed! And I was a big Who fan, along with Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, and Bob Seeger. Never really did the progressive rock thing; I skipped straight from classic rock to post-punk (and didn't look back) the minute the first Elvis Costello album came out in '77.

I didn't really start appreciating disco until I was 30 or so, and -- Lancer take note -- dancing all night to ABBA with my future wife at the party where we met may have turned me around.

Comment

Working...
                              X