Mentally Disabled in College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    I say let the standards win. If they can't compete, that's too bad.
    Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    The point is if they're actually incapable of doing stuff they'll flunk out.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

So?

Why shouldn't the same standards for getting in apply? It's a free pass, it's a giving hand.

I don't believe in giving hands.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

And when they flunk out (i can't imagine more than 10% graduating, probably much less), would this experience have been helpful to them? maybe but I can imagine some not dealing well with the failure.

and how the heck do they even get in in the first place? Community colleges don't have much in the way of requirements (although even they require you to take remedial english/math classes that i doubt most mentally disabled would be able to handle), but any state-school requires at least a 1000 on the (old scoring system) SAT and a 2.0 high school gpa (though that's so low).
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          So?

Why shouldn't the same standards for getting in apply? It's a free pass, it's a giving hand.
          If they're getting a free pass on getting in, that's a problem, yes.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Maybe it's time to remind little Albert here of the way the real Albert Speer and co. handled the mentally disabled...
            THEY'RE FREAKING RETARDED!

we're not talking blind people or deaf people... we're talking people who can not function mentally. people who are incapable of the abstract reasoning that college demands... people who are on 4th grade reading levels. do you honestly think he'll EVER be at college level?

we're not talking people who are 'a little slow' but through dogged determination and hard work they can succeed. we're talking people with chromosomal abnormalities that gave them IQs of 50. It's incredibly unrealistic to think they'll ever succeed in college or in the professional world. they can try but it will inevitably (95% of the time if not more) lead to failure. Someone tell me honestly that that is not true. I'd love it if there were statistics on this stuff but can anyone imagine them looking good?
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

again...

Can you imagine a retarded person writing a 6 page essay on Plato's Allegory of the Cave?! Can you imagine a retarded person comprehending the theory of relativity?! Can you imagine a retarded person analyzing data using multiple regression models?! Can you imagine a retarded person understanding macroeconomics?!

it's a shame but you can not ignore the fact that they just aren't capable of the same things you or me are capable of. hell, the majority of people don't understand any of the above. how can someone with Down's Syndrome?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                THEY'RE FREAKING RETARDED!
                NO U R

Comment

First of all not all people who have Down's Syndrome are retarded. A minority attain at least a low normal intelligence. Second, the average American reads at a 5th grade level so she's not that far below normal. Her IQ is certainly above 30 to 60, it's probably at least 75. Finally I don't know of any college that would require a student to write an essay on Plato's allegory of the cave, which is only of historical interest anyway.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

the average American reads at a 5th grade level
                    I call bull****... things about how dumb Americans are are constantly thrown out there. If the average american read at a 5th grade level how did they graduate high school?!

I don't expect much from the average person (hence why i don't think people below average are capable of completing college) but people aren't that dumb.

Finally I don't know of any college that would require a student to write an essay on Plato's allegory of the cave, which is only of historical interest anyway.
                    blah?! I've already written three for three different classes at Temple University, a state school, and I'm a Finance major! and, on top of that, we discussed it in high school!

Comment

i agree with speer only because ***** like this get to go to college while i dont. should i fake tardism to go to college? yes?
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Albert:

I'm a deaf kid just about to graduate. I assure you that the university in no way reduces the requirements for the stuff I take. In fact the only accommodation that I have ever received is notetaking so that all I need to do when I go to class is to sit and listen as best as I can.

I can get by without the notetaking, and I have in the past, but I do better with the notes then without.

Frankly, given the level of commitment that I have seen from most students at a university level, I don't see why a 4th grade reading level could not do just fine. Most of the students don't even bother to read the material set out in front of them, and pass for doing all the work.

Watered down? Sure, but it's not just for the downs-syndrome folks.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Can you imagine a retarded person writing a 6 page essay on Plato's Allegory of the Cave?! Can you imagine a retarded person comprehending the theory of relativity?! Can you imagine a retarded person analyzing data using multiple regression models?! Can you imagine a retarded person understanding macroeconomics?!
                          Can you imagine a deaf kid giving a lecture?

Can you imagine a deaf kid organising his discussion group?

Can you imagine a deaf kid speaking a foreign language?

Can you imagine a deaf kid doing a piano recital?

And yet, I've done all those things, Albert. So go stfu.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I don't believe in giving hands.
                            Sure, but I don't see why they can't meet the entry requirements. I mean, I got in early admission because of my excellent high school grades, so I can't automatically assume that they had lower requirements for this person here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Can you imagine a deaf kid giving a lecture?

Can you imagine a deaf kid organising his discussion group?

Can you imagine a deaf kid speaking a foreign language?

Can you imagine a deaf kid doing a piano recital?

And yet, I've done all those things, Albert. So go stfu.
                              so the analogy youre making is mental retardation is on par with deafness? i knew there was a reason you wer ehte way you were!
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

as much as it pains me, I agree with AS.

I'm tired of people getting a free ride through college. It seems everyone gets special treatment except me. Pisses me off.

Comment

Working...
                                X