No announcement yet.

Mentally Disabled in College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can easily imagine a deaf person doing all of thouse things and more, infact I dont have to "imagine" it at all because its a well know fact that its done all the time. Deafness is not at all similar to mental retardation.
    And that's sort of my point. The challenges I think are similar, and I think I have just a little more experience then you.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

cmon ben , you know that even completely deaf people are leaps and bounds beyond those with downs. on average. im sure you know some dumb deaf people not to be confused with deaf-dumb people.
      I don't think I've said deaf people are stupid. All I've said is certain things are more difficult for deaf folks in particular, just as with downs.

I guess you can say I have a high opinion of both.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

the problem is granting unreasonable breaks to people based on these hurdles. offering easier cirriculum, scholarships at the public's expense is unreasonable when there are more deserving people out there.

pure accomplishment should be the sole basis of scholarships, not relative accomplishment due to haivng a missing chromosome.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Statements of the blindingly obvious #6354198

If Speer can get through college, so can a person with Down Syndrome. And so can a rag tied to a stick.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
            the only **** that should be allowed to live is christopher burke

Hey, this thread's really drawing out the window-lickers, isn't it?

Failed to get an erection on camera again recently?
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
              Statements of the blindingly obvious #6354198

If Speer can get through college, so can a person with Down Syndrome. And so can a rag tied to a stick.
              i think speer turns his on at will though.
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Look...

deaf attending college != retarded attending college
                retarded attending college ~= cripple in the NFL

college REQUIRES the use of mental faculties (but not necessarily the use of hearing... you don't hear textbooks, you don't use your hearing when you take tests, etc.), mental faculties which mentally retarded people do not have!

I'm not understanding how I'm the bad guy in all this. Can we even agree that mentally retarded people are not as mentally capable as the average person?! It seems yall do not comprehend that the mentally retarded operate on the level of children! That's a fact.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

No. But I will agree that some people with perfectly normal chromosomes still act like children.
                  I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

NO?!

do you know what retardation is?

- The condition of being relatively slow in mental, emotional, or physical development.
                    - an abnormal slowness of thought or action; also : less than normal intellectual competence usually characterized by an IQ of less than 70
                    - slowness in development or progress
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

... which suggests that anyone who is able to overcome an inherent 'slowness' and still achieve relevant standards of competency is to be applauded.

No?

Comment

no! just because you overcame hurdles doesnt warrant any special treatment or merit. cause at the end of the day theyre still not at the level of their peers

Comment

at the end of the day theyre still not at the level of their peers

Do you understand anything about the process of education?

Do you know what achieving standards of competency means?

Comment

the problem is granting unreasonable breaks to people based on these hurdles. offering easier cirriculum, scholarships at the public's expense is unreasonable when there are more deserving people out there.
                            Like I said earlier I managed to lose a 'deaf' scholarship set up by a deaf person who did go to university to help other deaf kids. It went to a hearing person, so I don't see why the scholarships are part of the problem since they obviously are based more on need then on any concept of merit.

Secondly, unreasonable breaks? Well I know plenty of folks who register as having 'learning disabilities' that are unspecified. You'll find more then half, sometimes 60-70 percent of the folks in the university disability list fall under that category. They get extra time on tests. I don't have a problem with the down's syndrome folks because you know they are disabled, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks taking the piss as learning disabled.

As for pure accomplishment, well that means actually assessing people based on their work, and not their chromosomes. The chromosomes aren't going to write their papers.

Comment

college REQUIRES the use of mental faculties (but not necessarily the use of hearing... you don't hear textbooks, you don't use your hearing when you take tests, etc.), mental faculties which mentally retarded people do not have!
                              No, that is true, but I want you to try an experiment Albert.

Go buy earplugs and try wearing them for a day through your classes, and tell me how you do. Then come back and tell me that college doesn't require the necessity of hearing.

Sure the textbooks contain information I can get at without having to use my ears, but most courses go beyond the textbook in terms of content. There are these things called lectures.
                              Last edited by Ben Kenobi; May 22, 2006, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
                                at the end of the day theyre still not at the level of their peers

Do you understand anything about the process of education?

Do you know what achieving standards of competency means?
                                i dont think that they are performing up to the standards of other students and are getting breaks in the grading policy because of their handicap. sure we all clap and smile when buck the retarded wonderslave gets his degree in the custodial arts but did he really earn it. I want audits man.

and for the record i have a learning disability having to do with my logical and orgizational processing and I do ask for more time on tests, but I dont ask for anything that takes away from other students education, either financially or prestigiously.

same reason i refused to apply for unemployment and welfare.

Comment

Working...
                                X