No announcement yet.

Mentally Disabled in College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some colleges run life-skills courses on campus but keep intellectually disabled kids away from their mainstream curriculum. Others offer a hybrid, allowing the students to audit regular classes and supplement their course load with skill-building seminars such as cooking and human relationships
    I aprove of this aproatch, basicaly is simple life skills being taught with the goal of creating an individual who will be an independent menial worker rather then a helpless dependent. The fact that such activity happens AT a college dosn't make it "college" aka teaching people to be enginers and doctors. If their successfull society saves a great deal of money not having to institutionalize said person for their whole life. That said its totaly UN-nessary to have these programs at a college, their being placed their for political reasons.

I am more bothered by the HighSchool integration that has occured, one of the several highschools I atended had such a program for moderate to severarly mentaly and physical retarded children. Said students recived what amounted to publicly subsedized daycare under the guize of "regualar highschool" as they had to be segragated from normal students due to harasment (you only ever saw them going to and from the Caffateria in a gaggle with a handfull of cargivers directing them). It was quite obvious to me that these children were getting something on the order of 10 fold the resorces in staff and space alocated to a normal student (and this was one of the nicer schools in town so that probably 20 times national average). It seems to me that craming this admitedly nessary program into a public highschool rather then its own specialy designed school was detrimental to the students in it, a great waste of money on top of that and all a farce in the name of political correctness.

BEN K: I can easily imagine a deaf person doing all of thouse things and more, infact I dont have to "imagine" it at all because its a well know fact that its done all the time. Deafness is not at all similar to mental retardation.
    Last edited by Impaler[WrG]; May 20, 2006, 19:39.
    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

the only **** that should be allowed to live is christopher burke
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

dey tuk our college plases

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
          Second, the average American reads at a 5th grade level so she's not that far below normal.
          I'm pretty sure most newspapers are written at a seventh grade level. I had a teacher in middle and high school who loved to whip that one out to us all of the time.
          Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
          Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear

I'm pretty sure most newspapers are written at a seventh grade level. I had a teacher in middle and high school who loved to whip that one out to us all of the time.
            Most Americans now get their news from Pat O'Reilly.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Bill O'Reilly
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                as much as it pains me, I agree with AS.

I'm tired of people getting a free ride through college. It seems everyone gets special treatment except me. Pisses me off.
                There's a scholarship for people like her. Set up specifically for people like her. Probably uses money that people want to go to use for people like her.

Go get a scholarship, ya dumb ****. Me, I'm gonna have lots of student loans to pay back (besides the scholarships), but you don't see me *****ing that the deaf, partially retarded guy one of my classes probably got a scholarship to be there.

I feel, if he/she is there, and is learning, and will be a better person for it, and whether they get money or not doesn't affect what happens to me (or ****, even if it did), I can be nothing but proud that our society doesn't just hide these people behind closed doors, but grants an opportunity unlike any other.

That guy in class, by the way, did a damn good presentation on the Theatre for the Deaf, even if it was a little hard to understand what he was saying.
                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

The whole business with the "if we spend money to educate mentally retarded people, then we evidently aren't spending enough money to educate genius-type people" line of reasoning is bull****. Geniuses can self-teach, the mentally retarded cannot.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

And what is the ratio of scholastic achievement scholarships to scholarships for the mentally handicapped, numbers-wise and monetarily?

Probably a worse ratio than odds on a three-legged bipolar asthmatic greyhound who got seven teeth pulled the day before the race.

Comment

If one mentally retarded person is self-sufficient, then that's one mentally retarded person too many. I mean, c'mon:
                      Originally posted by Albert Speer
                      THEY'RE FREAKING RETARDED!
                      We might as well go ahead and round them up for the gas chambers. After all, they're not human,

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                      THEY'RE FREAKING RETARDED!
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

or as we say here:

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                        They'ah wicket rehTAHded!

Comment

but you don't see me *****ing that the deaf, partially retarded guy one of my classes probably got a scholarship to be there.
                          Heck, I lost a deaf scholarship.

To a hearing person. True story.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

so the analogy youre making is mental retardation is on par with deafness? i knew there was a reason you wer ehte way you were!
                            One makes it hard to understand what the professor is saying...
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

cmon ben , you know that even completely deaf people are leaps and bounds beyond those with downs. on average. im sure you know some dumb deaf people not to be confused with deaf-dumb people.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

College should be all about reaching certain standards. If retarded people can reach those standards then they should be welcomed but if they cannot function at the needed level then they should not be there. Standards should not be lowered for social reasons. End of story.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X