Any way to make nukes more powerful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to make nukes more powerful?

Maybe they will make them useful in the expansion? I'm not all that familiar with the editing or mods yet. Any mods that make these actually useful things to build? And more importantly- more fun to use.

I've been using nukes loads of times in my Prince games.

My only qualm with them now, after having used them a fair bit, is that SDI is still too cheap for what it does. SDI effectively removes the nuke threat - although it says 75% interception chance it seems like higher than that.

You can drop 6-8 bombs on an SDI-protected civ and they will all be intercepted.

Therefore I think SDI needs to be made even more expensive, say 3 or 4 thousand hammers.

Comment

I only used nukes in my first couple of games, then I realized how useless they were... the risk of them being intercepted is way too high compared to how little they actually destroy

... not to mention the fact, that the AI never uses them either
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

That's one of the easiest things to change. In Assets\GlobalDefines.xml, there's nuke strength, another file had the SDI interception percent .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

But it's still not fun to use nukes, when the AI doesn't use them
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The AI has a somewhat low priority on them, but once the Manhattan is built, the AI might well build a bunch of nukes.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

yeah sometimes I yearn for the SMAC days. They weren't afraid to use them there. Especially if you used them.

Comment

The other alternative is to ensure you have a great tech lead and drop nukes on civs which haven't yet build SDI.

Works a treat alongside the strategy of raising coastal cities with transports full of marines and battleships to reduce the city defences.

Comment

The other alternative is to stomp them while you still have Praetorians.

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

SDI should cost 1000 gold per TURN..

Comment

Originally posted by BoredShiva
                      The other alternative is to stomp them while you still have Praetorians.

And if that doesn't work, make sure you get cavalry before the AI

I actually find nukes pretty , and pretty ineffective.

And once the AI has the SDI, I think they are pretty much useless.
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I hardly ever fire a single nuke at a city. I think of the nukes as either sub-megaton missiles or individual warheads in a MIRV. If a major power nuked a large city, they would probably use several warheads, and hitting a city with a half dozen or so warheads at once will do a good amount of damage.

It would be nice if we could research the option to build larger nukes, there are some that are upwards of 50MT that could destroy most of a large city with a single bomb, but since nearly all of those have to be delivered by bombers and they are a lot less common than the typical, smaller nukes, I can understand why they only provided the more typical kind in the game.

Comment

Really what is with nukes? Seems to me that they are liek a super charged artillery or something? They dont' kill anyone do they? Just cause a bunch of damage? I've only used them once. Pangea map, Izzie on the other side declared war...so I sent one way over to her... I had no troops or anything there so I couldn't get the city or anything (would I want a nuked city?)

When her feeble stacks got to me, I wiped them out with my guys no problem, she made peace and the game shortly ended thereafter.

All I remember is it caused a bunch of damage to the units in the city, but I don't think it really made a long term impact.

What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Grenouille
                            SDI should cost 1000 gold per TURN..
                            Yeah right.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I've always been a big fan of nukes, but you are right, they are not so useful in CIV IV, that's a drawback. As for SDI, if they build it on the coast, well you can hit it with SEALs (if USA) and then nuke them to death. Of course, they might pull out that UN resolution on you and it doesn't matter anyway.

sparky

Comment

Working...
                              X