Apolyton PitBoss hosting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton PitBoss hosting ?

I'm considering hosting a PitBoss Server at home for my PBEM games, howether this solution is not really practical:[list=1][*]Windows is not stable enough to have a server running for months unless it is dedicated to just a PitBoss process.[*]I cannot dedicate a windows machine to PitBoss[*]I need to shutdown from time to time my Windows machine, either for frequent maintenance purpose / crash or power issue.[*]Having a typical PC running almost 24/7 a whole year cost around 100€ in power consumption[/list=1]So, I'm wondering if you guys at Apolyton would not be ready to start such a service. Since you already have a payment system for your membership, you could maybe use it to sell PitBoss hosting.
    Personnally I would be ready to pay 50€ per year to have my PitBoss server hosted.
    Better than playing blitz chess and piano simultaneously: Warcraft III

Sounds like a good idea

How about $50 per game, per year?

Comment

wow sounds like an epxensive way of playing a game,,,
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Sure does... How about linking access to pitboss to the current membership - no extra charge. I'd join for that service.

Comment

I believe Poly is hosted on linux, not windows, which is the problem. This had been a consideration, actually.

However, remember that the PTBS game must be started *by the host*... which would be impractical.

You don't have to have the PTBS running all the time, however.

It saves and loads just like Civ4. In fact, it IS Civ4, just without the pretty graphical stuff.

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

i'm running a pitboss game from home for friends. it autosaves just like the regular game does. you can restart reload if it goes down unexpectedly. you can also manually save so if you need to reboot, just save, shut down the server, reboot and reload.

my biggest problem with the server is that I'm behind a firewall and hence rely on gamespy for connecting to the server. the gamespy connection tends to get dropped periodically without notification. I have to attempt to login to the server via gamespy manually just to find out if it is currenlty connected to gamespy or not. :-( I minor inconvenience though. it only happens once or twice a week.

of course, none of that addresses the power costs of running the computer all day.
            In a minute there is time
            For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
            - T. S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
            X