Cities on Impassable Terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities on Impassable Terrain

I've got a question. In ToT, if a city is built on impassable terrain, is it unenterable and uncapturable by units unable to enter impassable terrain? I'm actually hoping so, for a trick I'd like to do, but does anyone know for sure?

Just tested it to be sure. No, unless they have the override, units cannot enter cities on impassable terrain. Seems analogous to land units being unable to enter cities on ocean terrain.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Thanks, Boco! That's just what I was hoping for. It allows for certain possibilities, scenwise...

Comment

Originally posted by Patine
        Thanks, Boco! That's just what I was hoping for. It allows for certain possibilities, scenwise...
        Something else to think about: at some point, change the impassable terrain so the square can be entered. You could do that for a few select cities, or the whole nation.
        My Cepha scenario
        The Solar Revolution
        Soon-to-be-updated collection of Civ2 artists' signatures. If you know one that's not listed, feel free to drop me a PM.

Comment

Then you encounter a phenomenom on which I rely heavily. When you use ChangeTerrain on a city square, you raze the city and eliminate all its supported units. It's a very handy device to 'withdraw' units.

But...you could always use a batch file to change rules.txt files at some point during the game. A change in the impassable/normal toggle in @TERRAINx is updated immediately upon loading a SAV file. I'm fairly sure it's also true for changing the override in @UNITS_ADVANCED.

You're onto a nifty trick here.

One related question that I'll test later this week: can you use CreateUnit to generate units without the override in an impassable square? I suspect not.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
            You're onto a nifty trick here.

One related question that I'll test later this week: can you use CreateUnit to generate units without the override in an impassable square? I suspect not.
            Just when I think I'm figuring this out... That seems like an illogical cause-effect relationship.

So, have you had a chance to test this idea?
            My Cepha scenario
            The Solar Revolution
            Soon-to-be-updated collection of Civ2 artists' signatures. If you know one that's not listed, feel free to drop me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
              Just tested it to be sure. No, unless they have the override, units cannot enter cities on impassable terrain. Seems analogous to land units being unable to enter cities on ocean terrain.

Yes but can they attack units inside cities on imp.terrain?
              Normally they shouldn't.

Can't be arsed to check it myself.
              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
              Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Hmmm, some more thoughts...

Can a city on impassible terrain build units without the override? I suppose you can build them but once they leave the city, they can't enter again?

Or what if the city is next to Ocean? Can ships still enter it (in case the impassable flag really only affects land units)? And ships carrying units?

How about having some sort of castle terrain type? Engineers could transform a city's terrain into a castle, making the city impenetrable to any unit except air units or units with the override, say, siege or gunpowder units in a medieval setting.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                  Hmmm, some more thoughts...

Can a city on impassible terrain build units without the override? I suppose you can build them but once they leave the city, they can't enter again?

Or what if the city is next to Ocean? Can ships still enter it (in case the impassable flag really only affects land units)? And ships carrying units?

How about having some sort of castle terrain type? Engineers could transform a city's terrain into a castle, making the city impenetrable to any unit except air units or units with the override, say, siege or gunpowder units in a medieval setting.
                  All very good questions! I think I'm about to be converted!
                  My Cepha scenario
                  The Solar Revolution

Comment

I just checked and found some answers:

Originally posted by Mercator
                    Yes.

No.
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

This is all really good stuff, and I can see many uses for this set of qualities of impassable terrain (several of which have been mentioned on this thread)!

Comment

Working...
                      X