Dolphins DE Taylor victim of hate crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins DE Taylor victim of hate crime

If you picture this in your mind, the assailant must have been blown out on something; or stupid for no external reason.

NFL.com wire reports

DAVIE, Fla. (May 1, 2006) -- A man faces hate crime charges stemming from an alleged assault on Miami Dolphins linebacker Jason Taylor that left the NFL player with a minor injury to one forearm, police said. Redmond Charles Burns, 24, allegedly used racial epithets and yelled obscenities at Taylor, who is black, during an alleged highway confrontation Sunday night. Taylor told police that Burns grabbed his shirt, ripping it in several places, and suffered a "minor laceration" from a metal object Burns allegedly used to attack him.

Taylor, who played in a charity golf tournament Monday in Tampa, said in a statement issued by the Dolphins that his injury was minor.

"My wife and I were the victims in an unfortunate incident last night, but we are both fine," Taylor said.

Burns, who is white, faces charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, which police have also classified as a hate crime that would permit tougher penalties. Burns also is charged with obstruction for allegedly resisting arrest after the incident involving Taylor.

Burns was being held Monday on $10,600 bond at the Broward County jail. It wasn't immediately clear if he had a lawyer to represent him.

Taylor, 31, has played nine seasons with the Dolphins and emerged as one of the team's best defensive players. Last season, Taylor had 12 quarterback sacks among his 52 tackles. For his career, Taylor has 540 tackles and 92½ sacks.

According to Davie police, Taylor and his wife, Katina, were on their way home from church Sunday evening when Taylor saw a red pickup truck backing up at an intersection in the path of his car.

Katina Taylor is the sister of Zach Thomas, another starting Dolphins linebacker.

As Taylor attempted to pass, the driver of the pickup "intentionally swerved directly at Taylor" and caused him to run off the road.

The passenger in the truck, who wasn't charged, allegedly got out and started to bang on the hood of Taylor's trunk. The 6-foot-6, 255-pound Taylor then got out of his car and was confronted by the 5-foot-11, 168-pound Burns, who was allegedly yelling racial insults and threatening to kill Taylor, according to a police report.

After grabbing Taylor's shirt, Burns allegedly went back to his truck, got an "unknown metal object" and tried to stab Taylor with it. Taylor suffered a minor wound to his left forearm but declined medical treatment.

Both men then jumped back in the truck and took off, with Taylor following and dialing 911. He lost the truck in a trailer park but was able to identify Burns from a photo lineup that police provided.

Police located the truck and tried to arrest Burns as he walked out of a trailer home, but he resisted violently and then tried to kick out the rear window of a police car. Burns was eventually subdued using pepper spray and taken to jail.

Taylor has a home in Davie, which is also the location of the Dolphins' training facility.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Aren't hate crime laws a little bit silly?

Comment

Is or not, he's buying into it. I was more struck with how he's lucky he's not a grease spot.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Are you suggesting that black footbal players are prone to excessive violence?
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Davie's right down the road from here.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The best (and most predictable) part is that the assailant lives in a trailer park...
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Slowwy forgot to add the picture of the assailant:

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Nice hair.

Comment

let me guess, he likes german stuff.

Comment

Nice bit of cool showed by Taylor, he did everything right.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Incredible control shown by Taylor. He could have returned the violence shown to him but he chose to remain calm and not lower himself to that punks level.
                        One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

guess the roids hadn't kicked in
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

What a moron... yeah, lets try to hurt a guy who towers over you and has far more muscle mass than you... good idea
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Trailer trash.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X