Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is history education in schools distotred to fit a political agenda ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is history education in schools distotred to fit a political agenda ?

I personally find the history textbooks of India edited to fit an agenda . They protray the indigenous culture as a mass of unconnected , unorganised , and ununified primitivism , and they protray invaders as more progressive . They consistently make assertions without proof , and the historians who write these books come down to personal attacks when cornered , such as on a TV programme . They portray all conflict in terms of economics and politics , completely ignoring the religious motivations of rulers , going so far as to extol the virtues of Aurangzeb ! Whenever some fault about an invader is mentioned , they feel it necessary to "balance" it with some flaw in the local system , irrespective of whether or not that flaw ( for which there is usually no evidence given ) is pertinent to the discussion .

While teaching non-Indian history , the history books are overtly pro-Communist ( and this is not my opinion - it is the opinion of the history-book authors themselves ) , anti-Capitalist , and anti-West . Irrespective of its actual record , Islam is held up to be the saviour of the people of Arabia , and of any other place Arab armies managed to conquer . Monotheism is held to be superior to pantheism or monism .

These , however , are sins of commission , and do not matter that much . What I find more disturbing is that the atrocities committed by invaders are completely blanked out - there is no mention , for instance , of the widespread destruction of Hindu temples ( and subsequent construction of Mosques on their sites ) during the Sultanate , or the Mughal period . And if ever it is mentioned , it is explained away on the basis of economics or politics , with no mention of religion , though the court records of the same rulers show a very different picture , and even though these records are available on the Internet ! Nor is the widespread oppression the indigenous culture was exposed to ever mentioned . Even when eyewitness accounts exist of this oppression , they are discounted - even when they come from as authentic a source as one of the Sikh Gurus ! Not only that , but the achievements of the local people are also not mentioned . If they are mentioned , it is necessarily mentioned that these achievements were restricted to the higher classes ( irrespective of mountains of evidence to the contrary ) !

Is it any wonder , then , that the local culture of India languishes as the elite abondon it ? Sanskrit is dead , people who have no understanding of indigenous culture think themselves competent to criticise it ( "I know not much about any religion , but I still think I am qualified to criticise any one" ) , and what is worse , this decay has decayed the academic institutions of the country from inside out .

[/rant]

I just needed to vent . Any other people who come from a country where political correctness and revisionism have so firmly taken hold that history education is perverted ?

[unspecific Hindutva nationalist rant] blabla why do people try to revision our revisionist conception of an all united Hindu past of all India? Why do I tell you, who have never seen an Indianhistory textbook and thus can't care less, anyway? blabla [/unspecific hinduist rant]
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

You didn't really read what I wrote , did you ? Instead of labeling me as a Hindutvavadi , why don't you address the points I actually raised , which have nothing to do with Hindu nationalism or any concept of a Hindu past ?

Comment

Re: Is history education in schools distotred to fit a political agenda ?

Originally posted by aneeshm
        ...... Whenever some fault about an invader is mentioned , they feel it necessary to "balance" it with some flaw in the local system , irrespective of whether or not that flaw ( for which there is usually no evidence given ) is pertinent to the discussion ................
        I see this aspect of historical bias through my daughters highschool history classes. In fact, it came just yesterday while discussing 3 events that led to WWII. Not unexpectedly, the standard "The Treaty of Versaille" excuse for Nazi aggression popped up (but I beat it to death with a stick).
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Well aneeshm, do you know sanskrit? You can learn it off the internet you know...

Comment

@ VetLegion

I have tried - thrice - in the past to learn Sanskrit off the internet . I never got anywhere ( even though I know the script ) . I've realised that I need a teacher . However , there may be things that I have overlooked . Could you please point me to any site which can teach me ( and this is a genuine request ) ?

Comment

I'd say that India's ridiculous illiteracy rate is a slightly more pressing problem.

Comment

Aneesh, most history is in fact about politics and economics, and not about personal motives of leaders.

Comment

But when it comes to a topic such as the desecration and destruction of places of worship , do not religious motives enter into the picture ? Can the destruction of temples in India , or other places of worship in other places of the world , be attributed solely to economic reasons , or political reasons ? I do not deny the role that economic or political considerations have to play when it comes to shaping history , but is it not a fallacy to totally discount religious motivation ?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                    You didn't really read what I wrote , did you ? Instead of labeling me as a Hindutvavadi , why don't you address the points I actually raised , which have nothing to do with Hindu nationalism or any concept of a Hindu past ?
                    Because there's little to respond to. It's basically your personal perception that some those historians respond with personal attack and rantings like to their agenda to "balance [the invador's fault] with some flaw in the local system , irrespective of whether or not that flaw"
                    means nothing unless you give a concrete example where such political correctness goes nuts. For, as a general rule, I favor those readings where both sides of the medal are taken into account over those readings where some one sided myth is built up - which generally HAS to do with a distorted nationalist vision of history.

Your conclusions over what historians favor while describing non-Indian history seems to be even more confuse painting some communist-monotheist conspiracy. Not to mention that in your simplistic argument, the whole community of Indian historians is painted being a monolithic block you can accuse. Even worse, they're traitors because they do nothing but thinking hard how to make polytheist history appear bad.

The only thing possibly worth responding to in more detail is the last parragraph since it gives some concrete points. But here, I reiterate, I don't know Indian text books so I can't tell you if I agree that there's heavy bias or not - it may again be simply your perception.

Throughout your rhetorics, it becomes clear (well, at least it's my perceptino) that you clearly follow hindu nationalist ideology. You seem to detect one(!) indigenous culture, mourn the death of Sanscrit as effect of the politics of that treacherous elite (I doubt that it's forbidden to learn it). Indian muslims are, of course, all invaders, I guess?
                    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Re: Re: Is history education in schools distotred to fit a political agenda ?

Originally posted by SpencerH

I see this aspect of historical bias through my daughters highschool history classes. In fact, it came just yesterday while discussing 3 events that led to WWII. Not unexpectedly, the standard "The Treaty of Versaille" excuse for Nazi aggression popped up (but I beat it to death with a stick).
                      The Treaty of Versaille did have an impact. It's indirect, and doesn't excuse squat, but it mattered.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Happens when people confuse "excuse" and "explanation", just like they love to confuse "trigger" and "cause". Talk about widely-spread process-logical illiteracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                          I'd say that India's ridiculous illiteracy rate is a slightly more pressing problem.
                          Yeah, several of my Indian friends like to claim Indians are naturaly smart people with a superior education system (thus explaining why so many indian engineers move to the US). I must say if you go to a top school then a very high quality education can be achieved in India but what about the other 9/10ths+ of the population which didn't go to a top school and the 1/2 of the population which didn't even finish high school? For a third world country India has done well but it has a long way to go.

Back on topic, every author has a certain amount of personal bias though some have more then others and the good writers know their biases and try to balance things out so the reader can get an honest picture. It doesn't sound like the author of the history book you mentioned did that.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah welll, one problem is that historical events are open to a lot of different interpretations that may be equally valid. No matter what version you teach, there's always going to be a group that disagrees. A second problem is that many events still have an impact today which means interests are at stake, which makes it much harder to discuss matters objectively.

Personally, I'm rather annoyed that I've always been taught that the Crusades-period resulted in a transfer of Greek and Roman heritage to Europe, and that the renaissance was kickstarted by the fall of Byzantium (supposedly also resulting in such a transfer). Later on I've discovered there seems to be little evidence to support this view.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Seems strange to me: in a country that is so vastly Hindu, how does the education system end up favouring Islam and monotheism?

Comment

Working...
                              X