Some speculation on homophobia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some speculation on homophobia

Well, tomorrow's May Day, my college's gigantic nude bacchanal, so naturally I turned to thinking about societal attitudes about sex and blahblahblah. I've actually had this theory for a while now though. I suspect I'm not the first to come up with it.

See, my purely speculative musings are based on some observations:

-I've never met a really, virulently homophobic woman. Or even a homophobic woman at all. They may exist, but I haven't encountered them.
    -The "they're insecure about their own sexuality" explanation can't really be all of it, because it begs the question; it assumes that there's a psychological stigma on gayness to be insecure about to begin with. It's not an explanation so much as a postponement of explanation. I agree that the really psycho gay-haters are probably closet cases, but there's a certain latent discomfort with the idea in almost all straight men, I think.
    -Cultural stigma can't be all of it, because the same traditions that condemn sodomy tend to also condemn numerous other things, none of which are seized upon so passionately as the gay bit.

So, my theory goes that, when straight guy meets gay guy, a quick, flawed logical process goes on in straight guy's head:

1. This guy likes to have sex with other guys.
    2. Presumptively, in most other respects he is like a straight guy.
    3. I, a straight guy, tend to think about sex a lot, especially when talking to women. If the conversation's boring, and especially if they're hot women, I'll tend to start trying to picture them sans clothing while I'm talking to them. At the very least, my eyes drift down to cleavage country. And a lot of guys do that, it's not just me.
    4. On some level, I'm actually contemplating nailing them, even if I don't admit it to my more civilized parts.
    5. From the perspective of my testicles, which do much of the thinking in these cases, it doesn't matter if said sex is entirely consensual. Not that I have rape fantasies, but the bottom line is, my biological urges just say to put my seed in something, end of story.
    6. If push came to shove, and he could do it without any consequences, your average guy would gladly screw just about any woman who was not too ugly to arouse him. We're not picky.
    7. Ergo, this guy I'm talking to is probably (on some level) thinking of me naked, thinking of himself putting it in me, and realizes that, as far as his id is concerned, I don't have to consent for him to enjoy it.
    8. Extremely remote possibility that other man is considering raping me detected. Probability calculations/common sense aborted. Emergency mode. Attack!

Women, being generally ignorant of how horribly, horribly dirty our minds are, do not think this way around us for the most part. Plus they know that women generally need voluntary cooperation to get off anyway, so there's no need for them to fear lesbians.

This seems pretty obvious to me, but it doesn't seem to get much press compared to the self-loathing theories and suchlike. I realize that I'm a somewhat atypical specimen myself though. So, reflections?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

nm
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

-I've never met a really, virulently homophobic woman. Or even a homophobic woman at all. They may exist, but I haven't encountered them.

Boy, I sure have. I'm not sure this can be used as a basis for an argument.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

That just shows that homophobes are scared little men. I'm utterly convinced of my ability to kick the **** out of anybody who tried to rape me...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I agree that many are homophobes out of fear. But I think that this is a result of not thinking, which is common in all men.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm an uglychickaphobe sometimes.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I don't think it's a big deal. A lot of straight guys don't know any gay people. Working at a university means that you come across a lot of gay people, and working in my field means that you come across it all the time.

It bothered me a bit when I was very young, but it doesn't bother me at all now – in fact I am at ease with it more than some gay people I know. However, I am evil and love to troll some of the more earnest gay rights people who can be complete saddos sometimes.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Completely saddled?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Completely saddled?
                  I think he means sadists, not something Freudian...
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Homophobic men don't like gay men because they are afraid that they'll be treated the same way that they treat women.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

BY women. But not bi by.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Part of the explanation for homophobia is that it's tied in with sexism. The religious right have lost substantial (though not all) ground in maintaining a cave-man status quo when it comes to women, so they turn to a much easier minority group to scapegoat, discriminate, denigrate, and suppress; gays and lesbians. To some extent, gays and lesbians are scapegoats for the religious right's inability to come to terms with the gains of straight women.

But this in of itself does not entirely explain a complex phenomena such as homophobia. I just tried giving a sociological explanation; Elok in his OP tried giving a pyschological explanation.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Completely saddled?
                          Saddo = sad and miserable person.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            However, I am evil and love to troll some of the more earnest gay rights people who can be complete saddos sometimes.
                            Sado!
                            I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

The only reason most homophobes are afraid of getting raped is they might find out they like it.
                              I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                              X