Installing ToT on Win XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing ToT on Win XP?

The installation runs fine, but ToT crashes to desktop as soon as it is started - any clues?

Stu
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Have you been able to start it at least once before?
    When exactly does it crash during start-up? Before you see any of ToT?
    Do you get an error message, or does it just disappear suddenly?

My ToT crashes sometimes as well (on Win 98, though) when I try and run it. But it seems to solve itself after a while.

Do you have any other programs running?

Oh, and did you install the 1.1 patch?

*cough* A lot of questions and very few answers so far.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

How did you install it? Straight install from CD, or did you copy the Microprose directory over from the old PC (I'm making an assumption that you got a new PC with XP as the OS)?

I'm on XP and everything went fine - so far as I remember. I installed ToT, then copied my old ToT folders overtop of the directory created by the install. Aside from the hassles of co-ordinating all the different patches and mods (1.1 + No-limits), everything went fine.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Hi guys and thanks,

not my machine or my game - I still stick to 2.42 - but my brother in law has a nice new XP lap top and a shiny CD - I have installed 2.42 without problem on it - but he wanted to play the multi-map thingy so bought ToT - with the above outcome - the install runs smoothly without any visible errors, but as soon as you try and run ToT it returns (in fact never leaves) the desktop.

Stu
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I confess to being baffled. Especially considering that 2.42 installed fine.

It's not a video issue is it? When I had video problems in the past, the symptoms were similar - failure to start, and no error message.
          /me is bereft of computer knowledge, and advises that the preceding suggestion is a stab in the dark.

I still stick to 2.42

/me shakes his head sadly
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
          X