Are you happy with the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you happy with the game?

I'm certainly not. I'm going back to Civ 4. Too many bugs and a foolish AI in a single-player only game makes for a frustrating experience.
    Happy.
    78.26%
    Unhappy.
    8.70%
    Happy, but I prefer Civ 4.
    8.70%
    Banana.
    4.35%

It's hard to define happy .

I've shelfed it and am back to playing Civ4. Then again, I mostly intended GalCiv2 as a break for me before I had started testing Warlords. The 1.1 update appears to fix a large number of things that I complained about, and I will definitely play GalCiv2 again someday.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Very happy. No bugs that I've encountered and very good AI. Much better then Civ 4, that's for sure.

I shelved it for Oblivion but once the 1.1 update is out then I'll take a break from Oblivion and play GC2 for a while at that point. Haven't touched Civ 4 since Feb. But I did launch it this weekend with the new patch and started getting sucked in to another game.

Basically they all rock and will get my game playing time this summer.

Comment

Very happy, it put Civ IV temporarily on the shelf (don't worry Ghengis I'll be back to put you in your place). It's allowed me to hold off on getting a new video card for Oblivion (that delay is also only temporary). With an expansion for Hearts of Iron 2 coming out soon I have a rare overload of good games I want to play.

A good problem to have though.
        War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- Anonymous

Comment

Sorry Chaps

Oh..err..i hope im not adding fuel to a fire here.
          BUT ...I love it and am still playing it
          One irony i have is when i was playing Gal Civ 1
          I used to think how great it would be to play another race apart from the humans, now that I`ve got this option I ONLY PLAY AS HUMANS...!!! ....Go figure cos i dunno.
          Honestly though i have played MOO2/MOO3 Gal Civ1 and this version is IMO the best, really good fun with humor mixed in

Comment

I'm happy... but I've actually gone back to modding RTW while waiting for the 1.1 patch.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

BTW Stuie love the Star Names Mod
              I use it.....

Comment

I'm very happy, and Stardock's support has been and will continue to be great. It remains one of the best strategy games developed with the single-player experience in mind.

I hang out on strategy game forums a lot and the simple truth is that there are always going to be a few people who loudly declare the game a failure. It doesn't matter how good the game is, everyone has different ideas of the ideal game and there are always going to be bugs and issues. In my mind its how committed the developer is to improve the game over time that makes or breaks it, and the reason the forum community exists is to help other people enjoy and improve the game. So simply declaring a game a failure really accomplishes nothing and, while everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, doesn't do anything for the community that is trying to enjoy the game.
                Last edited by Hansolo88; April 24, 2006, 13:49.

Comment

I don't know... I really want to like it but I find the AI to be incredibly frustratingly idiotic. For example, in my game yesterday the Arceans built only transports and no combat ships. I think it did this because I hadn't built any fighters and so it was lead into thinking it could just invade my planets with undefended transports. Well, obviously I would simply quickly build a few powerful fighters with which I destroyed the entire Arcean invasion force (some 10-20 troop transports). For a single-player only game an AI this stupid is simply unacceptable.

Well, I'm glad others are enjoying it. I seem to be the one person in the whole world who doesn't (the reviewers are raving).

I will say, though, that I admire Stardock for being so open and informative towards the community. I'm not very optimistic, but perhaps a future patch will win me over.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategist83
                    I don't know... I really want to like it but I find the AI to be incredibly frustratingly idiotic. For example, in my game yesterday the Arceans built only transports and no combat ships. I think it did this because I hadn't built any fighters and so it was lead into thinking it could just invade my planets with undefended transports. Well, obviously I would simply quickly build a few powerful fighters with which I destroyed the entire Arcean invasion force (some 10-20 troop transports). For a single-player only game an AI this stupid is simply unacceptable.

Well, I'm glad others are enjoying it. I seem to be the one person in the whole world who doesn't (the reviewers are raving).

I will say, though, that I admire Stardock for being so open and informative towards the community. I'm not very optimistic, but perhaps a future patch will win me over.
                    Certainly nothing wrong with not liking the game, not everyone will.

I guess I would ask what level are you playing? Anything less then "Intellegent" the AI does stupid things on purpose to simulate a newbie player. I've played several games on higher levels and have never seen the AI do anything that dumb once I got above Intellegent. Try playing on Maso.

If it is actually doing that on the higher levels then I'd suggest sending in a saved game to Brad or support and let them look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by tiny toad
                      BTW Stuie love the Star Names Mod
                      I use it.....
                      Wow - thanks! I've been meaning to clean it up and post a new version - a few less AC-that and DM-this. Maybe when 1.1 is finally out...

That's going to be the extent of my modding for GalCiv2; I've wasted way too many hours modding RTW.
                      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I don't know... I really want to like it but I find the AI to be incredibly frustratingly idiotic. For example... For a single-player only game an AI this stupid is simply unacceptable.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, Strategist83. You sound like a very reasonable guy and I certainly didn't mean to put you down, it sounds like you really are giving the game a chance and just not liking it. I hope you stick around and find ways to improve your game experience!

Comment

For example, in my game yesterday the Arceans built only transports and no combat ships. I think it did this because I hadn't built any fighters and so it was lead into thinking it could just invade my planets with undefended transports. Well, obviously I would simply quickly build a few powerful fighters with which I destroyed the entire Arcean invasion force (some 10-20 troop transports).
                          I was playing a game just the other day against the Arceans, 1v1 on a tiny galaxy, and the exact same thing happened! They suddenly started building nothing but troop transports. This almost certainly has to be a bug, it happened right after I had patched to 1.1 Beta 5. There is no way the AI is supposed to operate that way.

So stick around, man, a lot of this stuff is probably gonna get fixed, we can only hope.

Comment

No offence taken.

Beta 5 is out? I'll have a go at it.

Comment

One big mistake made with GalCiv2, IMO, is having the default difficulty where it is. It creates an impression of the AI being much weaker than it is. On the higher levels, I wasn't exactly blown away by the AI, but it was decent.

The default level is, IIRC, at Sub-Normal intelligence. Worse yet, what's called "Normal" intelligence is actually still an AI that is being dumb on purpose.

I actually like the idea of low levels where the AI simulates newbie strateges, it's certainly good for newcomers and casual players, but IMHO, the defaults and labelling aren't handled quite well.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                              X