Game won't play after installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game won't play after installed

I installed my CTP game and clicked on "play", and the screen disapeared. I opened it and clicked play again and it didn' work a second time. Is it because I have Windows XP? Is there a way for me to play the game? Please help!

I have the same problem
    If anyone figures it out, please post a reply
    Edit: See https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-...91&p_sid=YMtY-*5i&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTY2JnBfcHJvZHM9MSwxNDMmcF9jYXRzPSZ wX3B2PTIuMTQzJnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vyc y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
    didnt help me at all, but could work
    Last edited by alexn817; April 26, 2006, 19:09.

Comment

I am having the same trouble. Loaded game on me computer adn when I click PLAY it send me back to desk top. If anyone has a fix for this please post.

Comment

I dont have a fix, but heres some stuff that could help
        First, I got it to work on another computer. I didn't do anything fancy, just installed and hit play
        Also, the person I emailed seems to think it has something to do with graphics or display, though I dont think so

Comment

I erm fixed CTP running in XP after installing the game.

1. Right Click The Shortcut, Click on Properties
          2. Go To Compatiblity Tab and tick the 'Run Program.......' and leave it as Windows 95, Click on OK
          3. Right Click The Same Shortcut and click on run as
          4.Untick The 'Protect You Computer'

There CTP should be running perfectly.

Comment

Wow, that little compatability trick worked perfect. Thanks for taking the time to post that information!

Comment

Yes Thank you

I need to keep an eye open more as we welcome new blood allways

If you folks want to do some PBEM, (Play By email) post in the Multiplayer section and we will get you started on some games
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I spoke too soon. The game will now play, but there is no sound. I have a brand new machine and I loaded my Win XP Pro. I think there might be some conflict with the latest version of Windows Media player, but I'm not sure. One thing about my other computer (a machintosh): It is much more rare to have conflicts in the system to cause stupid problems like that.

Comment

Hi guys, first time poster here.

I recently bought copies of both CTP and CTP2 and I'm having the same problem getting them both to run - they both crash back to the desktop as soon as I try to run them saying that the civctp.exe or ctp2.exe has caused an invalid page fault. My computer is a 500 MHz Pentium III with 128 MB RAM, a Voodoo3 graphics card with 16 MB Ram and the Windows98 Second Edition operating system. I'm running Directx 9 and all my software drivers are up to date. It is not connected to the internet (I'm at work as I type this).

I have tried the available patches but they haven't fixed the problem, I have tried starting the game with the screen already set to 640x480, starting from the directory it is installed in rather than using the start menu short cut, on install - leaving it set to the default install path, installing the minimum and maximum options. Most recently I removed the latest version of the Windows Media Player, going back to Windows Media Player2 (wmp2.exe) that was included in Windows95. These are all the suggestions I have found on this forum and others. PLEASE HELP!!

Does anyone know if these games don't like the Second Edition version of Windows98? Or do you have any other suggestions that I have not yet tried? Or is it a general problem getting Activision games to run as I have problems running Starfleet Commnad III - another Activision game - where it crashes out as soon as I try and move into a combat phase. Please note my only access to the net is here at work and I am behind a very restrictive firewall that blocks access to most gaming websites.

Any assistance you guys can give will be much appreciated as I really want to try these games after hearing how good they are.

Belgarion2006
                  "In Dylan Hunt we trust"
                  Belgarion2006
                  "In Dylan Hunt we trust"

Comment

Windows 98 SE should not be a problem. Maybe you are missing the Indeo video codec?

For CTP2, you could try the Apolyton playtest edition, which contains a number of bug fixes. And it will dump some information to a file when a crash does occur, to help us find the reason of the crash.

Comment

^ Thanks Fromafar, I'll give your suggestions a try.
                      Belgarion2006
                      "In Dylan Hunt we trust"

Comment

hello everyone, been a member of this site for a long time, but today is my first post. Just wanted to say many many thanks for this thread, I didn't even know abou the "run win95 compatible mode" option. I just tried it and now my beloved 7 year old copy of CTP is running again. How I have missed this game. Undersea citys rock!!

Comment

Originally posted by valk_ryder
                          hello everyone, been a member of this site for a long time, but today is my first post. Just wanted to say many many thanks for this thread, I didn't even know abou the "run win95 compatible mode" option. I just tried it and now my beloved 7 year old copy of CTP is running again. How I have missed this game. Undersea citys rock!!
                          Your are certainly welcome

When you decide you want to try it, we have ample PBEM Games available to join or play in

Gramps
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

None of the answers in this thread helped me with the exact same problem.

Comment

Just thought I would toss this in, maybe it will help. Today I was firing up a legacy Win XP box for playing all those "modern" games that Win 7 won't play. After installing CTP and running it I got an "abrupt termination" error with a CRC of 0FA7-1860. Apparently the following has to be present on the computer to get it to run:

Visual C++ runtime components - gettable from microsoft Might have been installed with an XP Service Pack
                              Indeo Codec - various places have version 5.11 for XP; www.ligos.com, current developer, has version 5.2 for $15. If you can't play the videos in loc %/Civilization-Call To Power/ctp_data/default/videos using Media Player without an Indeo error of some kind you need the Indeo Codec. I got mine from www.codecs.com
                              Latest video drivers for your card - mine is nVidia FX5200. Updating to a newer version of this is what finally got me going
                              Set the executable file to use either Win 95 or Win 98 Compatibility Mode - Didn't seem to do anything for me but others on this and the CivFanatics forums got results with this.

If this abrupt termination is your problem try all this and it might work.

Comment

Working...
                              X