Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet connection problems and: how do you connect to the internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet connection problems and: how do you connect to the internet?

I'm having a lot of trouble with my cable modem. I think it may be trouble with the lines running in my neighborhood which are old, and I've had problems with regular tv viewing sometimes.

My connection will slow down and/or stop. Then later the cable light on my cable modem will start flashing indicating it's out. Then it will flash quickly and come back. it's been doing this every 5 minutes or so. At least in the afternoons when I've been posting. Is there any kind of diagnostic I can run to see what the problem is?

how can I efficiently spam when my internet connection is down every 5 minutes? It took me almost 5 minutes to submit my last post. I'm trying to type this one quickly before it goes down again.

I should call and complain. I can't believe I'm paying $30 a month for this crap. I'm thinking about getting DSL though. Yeah I made a thread last year asking about this. But I really don't know anything about DSL. Do they have to run any special lines, or can they use telephone lines? I'm a bit confused about this.

I even tried going to dial up last year. But it had been so long, I couldn't figure out how to get it running. At least I wouldn't be paying a high price for an internet connection, but be paying minimal price for an internet connection.

But I do want something reasonably fast so I can download music still.

edit: in the time it took to type this message my internet went down again.

I'm so pissed off right now. I may not be posting a while until I get this sorted out. But this time I won't make the mistake of cancelling my internet connection until I get another one lined up first.

Could it be DIS because somebody here might be doing denial of service attacks on your IP address.... hehe.........

Comment

Re: Internet connection problems and: how do you connect to the internet?

Originally posted by Dis
      My connection will slow down and/or stop. Then later the cable light on my cable modem will start flashing indicating it's out. Then it will flash quickly and come back. it's been doing this every 5 minutes or so. At least in the afternoons when I've been posting. Is there any kind of diagnostic I can run to see what the problem is?
      I've experienced the same problem recently with such "inconsistent" connections -- it's here one minute, gone the next. Usually in the afternoons, too, but it's not happening as much as it once did.

Your ISP wouldn't happen to be Comcast, would it?

Comment

It happens to me, too. Or I'll randomly lose my IP and have a new one assigned, interrupting anything I have running that requires a constant connection. The only way I've solved it is cycling the cable modem.

(ISP is Adelphia, a pox on their collective houses.)
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Call and complain. Sometimes it may be a problem with the line, or just disconnecting the modem and connecting it again can help. The person on the phone line can help.

Your ISP wouldn't happen to be Comcast, would it?

Mine is

I can't remember the last time my connection was 'dropped'.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Internet connection problems and: how do you connect to the internet?

IPoAC

Comment

The thing about cable modem is you share the trunk with a bunch of people. So even though you get a higher connection speed on paper, your actual speed could be very low.

DSL doesn't have this problem, and it uses regular phone lines (at least when it goes into a flat). Though some broadband is actually a strange form of LAN, so you need a cat4 or cat5 cable for that.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR did you get my PM?

Comment

Call and complain. Sometimes it may be a problem with the line, or just disconnecting the modem and connecting it again can help. The person on the phone line can help.
                  That's a good one, Imran.

Most of the time, when I call my provider's customer service department, they run a few remote checks, then sign me up for a technician's visit. Invariably, as I live in an apartment complex, the problem is somewhere within the complex or within a block or two of it.

That fact doesn't stop the CS folks from usually saying, "It must be something with your computer or in your apartment." HA! You'd think they'd keep records in CS showing that, no, the problem is outside of my apartment.

It pops up every three months or so, which means I'm lucky, according to the experiences on this thread.

I like the technicians, though. They're professional and friendly. The CS reps are OK, too, but they don't know squat compared to the field techs.

Gatekeeper

P.S. And why, whenever I type, does the text box in the "quick reply" flash? It only does this at 'Poly, and only since OTBOT's demise.
                  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

It's taking a picture of your post... for future reference.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Uh-oh. Orwell's "2006", I presume?
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
                        It happens to me, too. Or I'll randomly lose my IP and have a new one assigned, interrupting anything I have running that requires a constant connection. The only way I've solved it is cycling the cable modem.

(ISP is Adelphia, a pox on their collective houses.)
                        interesting. This has seemed to work for me. Knocks on wood.

I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

One possible cause is I don't leave my modem on all the time anymore, which I used to do. It's connected to my power strip which I turn off when I turn my computer off. And my computer starts up real fast now, even before my cable modem is done initializing.

But my light hasn't went out since I did this. *keeps fingers crossed*

Comment

now I can commence massive spamming.

Comment

now it went out again.

maybe I need a new cable modem. Or a new ISP.

Comment

Can you play turns? Go to the Vox forum!

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X