This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Playoffs

NJ Devils are so lucky that they did not have to face the Flyers first round. It would have been so embarassing for the fading Martin Brodeur to have a first-round exit.

Re: NHL Playoffs

Originally posted by Brundlefly
    NJ Devils are so lucky that they did not have to face the Flyers first round. It would have been so embarassing for the fading Martin Brodeur to have a first-round exit.
    ^
    Example of delusion

Man, beating the Flyers by a combined score of 9-2 in 2 games seperated by 4 days wasn't enough for you?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well the eastern matchups look like they should be more competitive than most of the western ones if things go to form. But since things NEVER go as expected, we will likely see craziness again this year.

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton
      Series begins Friday

Detroit looks too strong and Roloson doesn't seem like the guy to steal a series

(2) Dallas vs. (7) Colorado
      Series begins Saturday

Many are calling for a Dallas sweep. can Theodore excel when he hasn't had two good games in a row all season? The D team and goalie just seem too strong

(3) Calgary vs. (6) Anaheim
      Series begins Friday

Both teams have been strong with Anaheim the hottest western team down the stretch until they faltered after making the playoffs. I have to believe in the Flames though

(4) Nashville vs. (5) San Jose
      Series begins Friday

Who the heck knows? SJ came from the early boonies to claim a playoff spot while Nashville hopes were dashed by the illness of Vokun until Mason came fromnowhere to look like a worldbeater. I like Thornton and co. against a backup keeper but the playoffs are all about these amazing stories

(1) Ottawa vs. (8) Tampa Bay
      Series begins Friday

Goalies anyone?? Ottawa looks much stronger even with Emery between the pipes

(2) Carolina vs. (7) Montreal
      Series begins Saturday

Carolina swept Montreal in the regular seaon by a combined 25-9 score. So against all logic I will go with my sentimental favorite and pick Montreal

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) NY Rangers
      Series begins Saturday

Can ANYONE bet against the Devils right now?

(4) Buffalo vs. (5) Philadelphia
      Series begins Saturday

I'll take Buffalo only because Philly is a team that has disappointed in the past
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'll just copy my post from the NHL Fantasy thread:

Alright, here's my stab at the first round:

West:
        Detroit v. Edmonton - Maybe the easiest series to call. Edmonton will probably take a game on pure emotion, but in the end it's Detroit in 5.

Dallas v. Colorado - The biggest question mark here is Theodore, but I'm not betting on him. Colorado's offense is always dangerous, but Dallas in 6.

Kiprusoff v. Anaheim - Anaheim put on an impressive late season charge, but unless he goes down, I gotta go with Kiprusoff in 6.

Nashville v. San Jose - I still have a hard time believing Nashville is for real. Sure, they're a decent team, but San Jose is just too strong right now. San Jose in 5.

East:
        Ottawa v. Tampa Bay - No repeats this year, as this is also one of the easier series to call. Ottawa may have stumbled into the playoffs, but Tampa simply isn't up to snuff this year. Ottawa in 5.

Carolina v. Montreal - My money's on this one to be the biggest first round upset. I'm still not entirely sure how Carolina finished second in the East. Montreal in 6.

New Jersey v. NYR - Jersey's too hot, and they have Brodeur. Jagr's great, but he's not enough. New Jersey in 5.

Buffalo v. Philadelphia - Cinderella season for Buffalo, but I just can't see them knocking off a Forsberged Philly - although their goaltending is suspect. Philadelphia in 6.
        Last edited by Kontiki; April 19, 2006, 13:50.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

the cheechoo train is hitting the playoffs with a full head of thornton.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Having a good offense doesn't go as far in the playoffs as the regular season. San Jose's lame defense and goaltending will do them in in the playoffs.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think Dallas might be vulnerable to an early upset. They've blown their last two regular season games late; granted, they weren't playing for much, but it has to be a concern going into the playoffs that they aren't showing much heart. Against an experienced Colorado team, that could prove disasterous.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Re: Re: NHL Playoffs

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

^
                Example of delusion

Man, beating the Flyers by a combined score of 9-2 in 2 games seperated by 4 days wasn't enough for you?
                i knew you would be the first person to post in this thread. thats why i made sure to say something to get you upset..

i have to give respect to the devils, however i dont have to like them. i hate the devils in fact. probably as much as i hate the cowboys and the braves.

the devils do not matchup well against the rangers and i think they will have a first round exit anyway..

the flyers have a bunch of exciting young players but they will only go as far as foresberg will take them. And Foresberg is trying to come back from an injury right now..
                Last edited by Brundlefly; April 19, 2006, 14:49.

Comment

Yeah, just like the Devils didn't match up well against... what, the last 11 opponents?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Detroit in 6
                    Dallas in 7
                    Anaheim in 5
                    San Jose in 4

Ottawa in 6
                    Carolina in 6
                    New Jersey in 7
                    Philadelphia in 6
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                      Detroit in 6
                      Anaheim in 5
                      Those are just...bizarre predictions.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Kiprusoff doesn't have that much on Giguere, but Anaheim's offence is way better than Calgary's.

Edmonton has played Detroit well all season.

Bank it.
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

tickets went on sale today in Montreal.

a pre-sale (which, if you saw the previous thread, i got ****ed out of) sold a majority of the tickets before today, so there were only a few thousand left.

According to one source, the tickets for all 3 playoff games sold out in 6 minutes flat.

I was 18th in line at a ticket booth, and they were sold out by the 8th person easily.

I got some blue tickets (the highest up, still a good view) on ebay for double their face value. It hurts, but damnit, I need to see a game.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                            Kiprusoff doesn't have that much on Giguere, but Anaheim's offence is way better than Calgary's.

Are you forgetting the D-men?

hmm I watched Anaheim play in Calgary 2 weeks ago, the night Warrener came back from injury. He owned Anaheim as he personally doled out about a dozen good hits in a 3-0 Flames win. Phaneuf and Regher were hitting as well. When you have an Olympian like Jordan Leopold as arguably your number FIVE d-man, thats an impressive d-corps.

I'm not disputing that the flames offence can be anemic-- its just that their hitting defensive style, good defencemen and an exceptional Kipper make them a hard team to beat over 7 games
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

You mean the game with their back-up goalie, the day after they played in Vancouver? A great test that was.

Comment

Working...
                              X