X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New interactive tech tree web page

Hi there

I've created an interactive tech tree web page for GalCiv2:

Simply click on a tech to expand it to the next level.

You can zoom the size of the tree by increasing or decreasing your browser font size or zoom.
    Hodling control and moving the mousewheel usually does this.

The tech tree is generated live when you click directly from the XML data.
    So it's up to date with the latest beta patch.

I will be adding the ability to 'search' for technology and have it automatically expand the tree to show you the matches.

Search example:
    Search for [Planetary Improvements] with a [Research Bonus] of at least '20'

Where the [Brackets] are dropdowns of options and the '20' will be an input box allowing user input.

Once you hit search the tech tree will auto-expands to all levels necessary to show you results.
    Also the boxes will be highlighted in some manner to show you the path.

Search types will be: Planetary Improvement, Starship Design, Starbase Module, Invasion Tactic

Anyways, I hope someone finds it useful

I've updated the web page.
    You can now search for technologies and see the results in the tree below.

Wow, this thing is actually starting to become useful

Comment

Okay, I've added 'Starship Component' as a type you can search for. You can now search for things like Hulls and Drives.

Comment

Also added a 'Improvement Type' item in the drop down, allowing you to locate where in the tech tree Galactic Achievements or Super Projects are located

Comment

So does anyone actually use my interactive tech tree? Just curious if anyone finds it useful or not

Comment

Added a new search category of 'Ability' so you can find out which technologies increase your Logistics, or Social Production, etc.

Comment

I've made some improvements!

Enchanced the details you get when you hover over techs by a great deal.
              Now it shows everything that you get with that tech (example Morale +10%)

Also you can now hover over any technology (before you could only hover over matched techs).

The tech details will also appear much quicker, and the techs will 'fly out' faster as well which should make using it a bit more speedy.

Comment

Just thought I'd reply since I didn't see other comments... just saw this post now, I haven't visited the Apolyton forums in a while.

The webpage is smooth, and that it reads directly from the XML files is a very nice touch. I can't really say that it's useful to me--I've already made spreadsheets of this information by importing the XML data into Excel, so I use those--but this is a slick presentation. Personally, the tech tree data is something I want to read in a table form, since I find it's easier for me to absorb, not to mention navigate, that way.

Your page is polished, it's pretty, and it looks like it took some time, so kudos. Really seemed like a shame that no one commented. This is one of the better tech tree presentations I've seen. Maybe post a link on the wiki to get more eyeballs on it?

Comment

This is just great Sembiance. Kudos.
                  If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman to hear him... is he still wrong?

Comment

Two new features

You can now 'double click' any of the technologies and the tree will auto-expand all technologies that branch off from that one.

Also there is a check box in the top right corner called 'Speed Boost Animation'.
                    Checking this box will have all the animations on the page happen in the blink of an eye for those that don't like them

Comment

Just added something new.
                      A new category called 'Planetary Improvement 2'
                      This category has the last remaining types of technology that I wasn't yet searching on.

I'd have to say that the tree is pretty much complete now, unless I get some additional requests

Comment

Added one more improvement.
                        Now there is 'buffer space' to the far right and bottom so if techs border the far right or bottom of the window there is now space there for you to read the 'tech details popup' you get when you hover over techs

Comment

Wanted to let you all know that I fixed a bug that caused some techs not to be found when you search.
                          I won't bore you with the details, but basically search should be able to find all techs now without trouble.

Comment

Nice work.

I've added it to ACS directory.
                            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Fixed a bug that sometimes caused matched technologies not to be displayed, just wanted to let you all know.

I currently don't see any bugs or problems, also I've implemented every feature request I've received, so unless someone else has some more suggestions, I guess my interactive tech tree is pretty much done

Comment

Working...
                              X