New rings found around Uranus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rings found around Uranus

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two outer rings, one red, the other blue, have been observed around the distant planet Uranus.

While Uranus had been known to have inner rings of neutral color, the newly discovered outer rings show color contrasts that researchers think are caused by light reflected off particles that differ in size from one ring to the other.

The outermost ring is only the second blue ring to have been observed, a team led by Imke de Pater of the University of California, Berkeley, reports in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

Also blue is Saturn's outermost ring, the researchers said. And they noted that each of the known blue rings has a moon embedded within it, while the red rings do not.

They speculated that the moons swept up larger pieces of debris, leaving only dust and tiny items that reflect more blue light than the red ring, which could have larger pieces of debris.

lol anus LOL
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Hey! No need to insult us people stuck with low quality toilet paper.

Comment

If they wiped better there wouldn't be any ring.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think the problem is, Saturn taught them how to wipe... they never knew any better
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

is this thing on?

damn, I'm stoned and that's not even funny

good night folks
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

lol UR's anus LOL

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I try not to think about UR's anus.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Have they found any Klingons around Uranus?
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

No, they were all wiped out by Mr Spock
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

ROFL

Sava beat me to it
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

They DO sell ointments for this type of thing you know.....

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Still going down...
                        What?

Comment

Two outer rings, one red, the other blue, have been observed around the distant planet Uranus.

Maybe we could send Apocalypse out there to investigate. He seemed very interested in different ringtones the other day.

To wit,

What should my new ringtone be?

Comment

They should change it to Urectum already.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Urbunghole! my favorite planet!
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X