Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*spoilers* Oblivion: So how did you feel about the the main plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *spoilers* Oblivion: So how did you feel about the the main plot?

Spoilers galore..... no spoiler tags, this whole thread is one.

How did you like the "main" plot of oblivion?

Simply put? The main plot, sucked. The main plot quests are without a doubt the most boring, unimaginative, unfun quests in the entire damn game..... I kept waiting for the main plot to become fun-then realized the game was over and the main plot sucked heh.

The oblivion gates along..... ugh lol.
    .....good
    55.56%
    .....bad
    11.11%
    .....really bad
    0.00%
    .....OBLIVION gate bad(i.e. really really bad)
    33.33%

couldn't tell from your poll options

I'm voting 'good' just because it's what I expected from Bethesda. The main plot has never been 'good' in the sense that KotOR or whatnot's main plot was good; they mostly assume you're not going to DO the main plot for a while anyway. They spend more time creating the side quests, of which there are plenty, and give you something to call a "main plot" mostly because they're supposed to. I suspect that if they thought they could sell a game without a "main storyline" they probably would ...

This plot, storywise was fine to me. Not long, no twists, and not complex, but it fit well within the TES world, was complementary to other games' plots in the past, and referenced even as far back as Arena. Thus, it was all I'd expect from their plot
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

There... is a main plot?
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Indeed.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It wasn't innovative but I enjoyed the main plot. It gave me a clear purpose that I was interested in accomplishing, with lots of other things to do along the way. I found that a refreshing change from Morrowind, where I really had a hard time summoning any enthusiasm for becoming the Nerevarine or doing the tedious chores set by the guilds.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

I enoyed the main plot line. It has this sense of urgency about the whole thing that was missing from Morrowind. However, I have one real complaint about the plot of Oblivion, or rather, about the design of the quests involved in said plot line: You cannot do nothing but the main plot line of quests because the gear you get SUCKS.

You can find light armor on the dead Kvatch guards inside the first oblivion gate. You can get blade armor once you join the Blades, so if you use heavy armor you're ok at that point. The "fleshy pods" and "The Punished" in oblivion drop some rewards. However, the mythic dawn guys don't drop ANYTHING, as they summon all their armor/weapons when the fight starts. Where do you get gear, and where do you get money? The only place to do that is outside the main quest. Ergo, you cannot do nothing but the main quest because you can't get the gear you need or the money to buy the spells you need that way.
            Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

he only place to do that is outside the main quest. Ergo, you cannot do nothing but the main quest because you can't get the gear you need or the money to buy the spells you need that way.

Wha? Do you mean you can't do the main plot of quests? Because I'm not... doing... it. Hm... what do you mean?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan
                I enoyed the main plot line. It has this sense of urgency about the whole thing that was missing from Morrowind. However, I have one real complaint about the plot of Oblivion, or rather, about the design of the quests involved in said plot line: You cannot do nothing but the main plot line of quests because the gear you get SUCKS.

You can find light armor on the dead Kvatch guards inside the first oblivion gate. You can get blade armor once you join the Blades, so if you use heavy armor you're ok at that point. The "fleshy pods" and "The Punished" in oblivion drop some rewards. However, the mythic dawn guys don't drop ANYTHING, as they summon all their armor/weapons when the fight starts. Where do you get gear, and where do you get money? The only place to do that is outside the main quest. Ergo, you cannot do nothing but the main quest because you can't get the gear you need or the money to buy the spells you need that way.

Er..... I made a straight out rogue archer with no magic and whose only nod to melee was block and blade which he almost never used and did the main plot fine with him.... only charatcer who did the main plot actually, I flew through it pretty fast too.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  he only place to do that is outside the main quest. Ergo, you cannot do nothing but the main quest because you can't get the gear you need or the money to buy the spells you need that way.

Wha? Do you mean you can't do the main plot of quests? Because I'm not... doing... it. Hm... what do you mean?
                  He didn't say that. He said you can't do nothing but the main quest. Meaning, you can do it but you're better off mixing in some guild quests or general dungeon crawling, because the rewards of the main quest suck and you'll need increasingly better gear to advance in it.

I tend to agree somewhat. The worse reward (compared to other quests) just seems to tell the message "don't forget about the other stuff, stupid!" They constantly hurry you "do it now or it'll be too late", and probably most people fall for it, but you're better off if you don't hurry. Remember: Cyrodiil is big and the cloud ruler temple ain't going anywhere, while you're sidetracked.

I usually get Martin into the temple quickly, which gets me to about level 5, and then take some time to smell the other flowers.

EDIT: Forgot the vote. I voted "good". I would've chosen the 2nd option, if it wouldn't read "bad". Unfortunately it does.
                  Last edited by Harovan; April 12, 2006, 03:52.

Comment

Main quest? There's a main quest?

Personally I could care less if there is one or not. I have gotten Martin to Cloud Ruler Temple and so far that was pretty fun. Thing is, the "main quest" or "story" doesn't really matter to me. I'm just having a blast making the world my own. I think if you did nothing but the main quest you'd probably only have about 20 hours of gameplay or so. Heck, I've already gone way beyond that and I've barely started the main quest.

In Morrowind I played about 150 hours and actually only did the first 2 quests in the "main" story and I had a blast. So personally I wouldn't rate the game based on the main story at all, it just doesn't matter. Maybe it does to some but to most Elder Scrolls fans I'd say it doesn't. As mentioned above I think they only include a main story just because it's "expected" and gamers not familiar with ES games might not buy it because "there is no focus" to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan

Just do some travelling first. Hop in a dungeon near the Imperial city (you're starting there anyway). At first, take all the crappy 10 GP items with you that you can find and sell them. If you have a few hundred GP you can buy some basic armour. Every once in a while a bandit will have something better, or some thug in a sidequest might have a good magical weapon of some sort.

However don't wait too long with the main quest. Right now I'm level 20 and I'm on my way with Martin to the Cloud Ruler Temple. Damn Kvatch and the oblivion gate were hard (probably took me 5-6 real life hours to finish that part). I was out of repair hammers because those daedra and other monsters kept on bashing me like hell, had to run every 10 seconds because a few hits result in a game over, and healing takes a long time (I'm using that minor healing spell, quite tedious really). Also the fact that in some areas, especially in Kvatch, 10 monsters come charging in is insane. 1 or 2 are an extremely tough fight already for me... Luckily in Kvatch that captain couldn't be killed, so he drew the attention of a lot of monsters, and luckily there were good opportunities to flee and jump on high ledges, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to complete it ever!

In short: Those monsters need 3-4 hits to finish me, and I need about 30-35 hits or something to get them down! (and I'm a vampire, so I have a weakness for fire too ). Is it normal to have so many daedra opposing me? I must have gained 16 points in Blade, and restoration, and 10 in light armour doing Kvatch, that says it all
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                      X