No announcement yet.

Questions about economic starbases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wtih the first factory it takes 4 constructors to build up your Econ starbase, at ~150bc apiece. That's 600bc, +432bc the game charges you up front, for a total of 1000bc initial investment. Unless you're evil, then you can ignore the 432bc.

I just played a game on Crippling and got the pants out-colonized off of me. It was worth it then--the game was long. The AI's researched all the factory techs except Industrial Sector, which I traded for, and by the end of the game the econ starbase was kicking butt. But that's the problem: it was the end of the game. Doesn't do much good then.

I'd say there's 3 factors that make the Econ starbases more useful: length of game, level of factory tech (that's a big one), and number+quality of planets you can enshroud (you can throw more factories on higher-PQ planets). Before you get that second factory tech, it's just not worth it; and there needs to be enough game left after that second factory tech to get a benefit from it. Sure, you can build it earlier and make the bonus last longer, but there's the opportunity cost. You can spend your bc on Social production instead and build Galactic Achievements first, and build factories on your other planets while you're at it. Get some raw production points out first. You can later multiply it by a Econ starbase %, if the game's long enough.

I really like the bang for your buck you get with Military starbases, though; especially in the early game. You can calculate their value in terms of extra ships you didn't have to build, and most of all, DEAD ships you don't have to replace. And then you can "upgrade" your obsolete ships simply by upgrading your military starbase another tech level. Don't forget to put one point of defense on your ships to use it.
    Fight chicken abortion! Boycott eggs!

Comment

I really like economy starbases, but I don't build huge numbers of them. I tend to place one if I can get two planets within it's range, or if most (if not all) of my trade routes will pass through it. My last game was a large galaxy, I controlled 6 planets in three star systems and had 5 economic starbases when I got my diplomatic victory, all of which met the conditions I listed above. Until I got the last two planets from a suprise spite surrender by the Torians, the majority of my income was from trade, not taxes. Even 10% bonus to industry/commerce was enough for a base to pay for itself in a couple of years in most cases just with the bonus to the planets alone, but the main reason I built them was for that trade route boost.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX

I'm fairly certain in counts towards all routes that pass through the stations area of effect. I think the AI builds directly on the routes because, well, it's an AI and has mysterious ways...
        The trade bonus effects the mini-freighters when they are in range of the starbase. So by having the starbase directly on the path of the mini-freighters, you maximise the amount of time they receive the bonus.

The factory upgrades are really only worthwhile when the starbase effects several different colonies - since it effects all of them equally, they would be ridiculously overpowered if you got a good return on them for just one planet. The only time it might be worth making a starbase for factory upgrades that will effect only a single planet might be for a mega-production planet (i.e. manufacturig capital) where you want to make sur you can churn out capital ships as fast as possible.

Frogboy mentioned that the bonuses had been lowered - it's because now half the bonus production is free. So I guess these numbers are being tuned considerably at the moment.

Comment

If you build a economy starbase at the start of the game it's very expensive.

But one thing you should take in mind is when you build a economic starbase, your income raises and I have noticed that it will do a nice raise. This way I can put my social/military/research higher. When I noticed my income is close to 0 or going red, a economic starbase helps me to get it back up. So worth the investment in my opinion

Comment

Building an economic starbase raises your income? Is this in the beta? Are you sure it isn't just your population growing?

Comment

I ment if you build the Trading modules in it

Comment

Okay. How does the timing of that work out in the beta if you have no population growth bonus? I'm always taking the pop growth bonus, and by the time I'm able to upgrade, my economy's so well in the black I don't even need to trade (except for diplomatic bonuses). May be a moot question, since Stardock has another update really soon.

Comment

Thanks to this thread, I can now get trade routes to be 70% of my income as opposed to 50% (albeit with Neutral Trading). The trick is to run all your trade routes from a planet on the edge or corner of the map so most of them are going in the same direction. This way I was able to get multiple overlapping starbases adding their bonus to the majority of the various routes' length - every trade route passed through at least 3 economic starbases zones, with most being through 5 or more.

Comment

as long as the circle touches the square its covered, if you doubt, double click a planet and click "summary" in the planet details it will show you production bonuses in the "from starbase" box.
                    Last edited by xts3; April 10, 2006, 19:34.

Comment

Last edited by Saakutarallaa; September 14, 2006, 07:04.

Comment

I haven't found trade routes useful. Seems like planet improvements, banks etc., pay off faster. I go through an ICS start, if I run out ob bcs, I sell things rather than cut production, so I need a reatively fast recovery, and a handful of routes don't cut it, especially since it takes a long time to build, if I need the supplies to cross the galaxy. (Large boards so far have given me the only decent payoff.)

Comment

it was dead for 2 years!

Comment

Working...
                          X