Civ3 tileset for Freeciv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 tileset for Freeciv

I'm compiling a tileset for Freeciv using Civ3 graphics.

It is based on the "civ3gfx" tileset by Jason Short, which is basically a script that downloads a fanmade Civ3 terrain modpack from civfanatics.com and converts the images to transparent PNG.

However civ3gfx notably lacks original graphics for resources, cities and units (using crude fallbacks for these) - my goal is to produce a tileset that looks as good as or better than Civ3!

I have completed resources and begun work on cities.

Progress report will be posted in this thread!

See screenshot for a sneak peak.
    Attached Files

Another work-in-progress screenshot!

Notice the 'black hole' below Birka - this is because Civ3 disallows certain terrain combinations, for example desert-tundra as in this example - and as a result lacks graphics for these combinations. There is no easy solution for this I'm afraid, other than manually editing maps.

Now only units, rivers and the 'swamp' terrain remains!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by varwnos
      What will the civ3 tileset freeciv be?
      A tileset in the standard Civ3 size - 128x64 pixels - with a Civ3 graphical 'feel'. It doesn't have to be an exact copy of Civ3 though.

Any probability of it being regular freeciv?
      Not as long as it's using commercial Civ3 graphics.

Is it a split version?
      What do you mean?

Finally, I'd love to use your cities in this tileset! The standard Civ3 cities are IMHO quite ugly, especially the larger sizes that tend to 'spill over' into adjecent tiles - something Freeciv doesn't handle very well...

Comment

Hi himasaram

Why use the horrible civ3 graphics at all? I mean for terrain

Comment

Also i am not sure that a civ3 clone without the animated units will really be antagonistic to it

Here is a pic of the firaxis euro terrain, with cities and mines by me.

ps: i am still interested in making terrain gfx for freeciv. The cities probably are already fine, so im not sure if i am needed there
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by varwnos
            Also i am not sure that a civ3 clone without the animated units will really be antagonistic to it
            I'm no fan of animated unit anyways.

Here is a pic of the firaxis euro terrain, with cities and mines by me.
            Very sleek! I don't have access to those graphics though. After all, I'm regarding this as a sort of 'proof-of-concept' - just hotswap the "ugly" terrain of the final product with other graphics made for Civ3 and you're good to go!

ps: i am still interested in making terrain gfx for freeciv. The cities probably are already fine, so im not sure if i am needed there
            IMHO you should create a full set of cities in Civ3 size then! We have no original 'Free' sprites of that size yet. Below is an example of your cities in a work-in-progress version of the Bigisotrident tileset (resized and antialiased Isotrident).

Comment

The screenshot...
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X