Load screen appears then crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load screen appears then crashes

The load screen appears after launching then crashes and tries to send an error message to windows.
    I have installed the latest drivers for my card (nvidia geforce4 mx400).
    I have also tried looking in the config file, but all that contains is a shortcut to an invalid destination.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    Last edited by Dr Chud; March 15, 2006, 08:56.

I think I may be having the same problem as you, is the screen that appears the one that just says "Civilization IV" with not buttons or options, and then just freezes for a few minutes?

I've already emailed take2 tech support, but have yet to recieve a reply.

Comment

this is the exact problem i have. it brings up the window with loading.... in like 8 languages then eventually brings up a windows end now error window. i am running on
      Inspiron E1705 Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
      LCD Panel 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
      Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
      Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 7800
      Hard Drive 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
      Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

any help would be great. sifting through the forums hasnt garnered any answers yet, but i guess i will drudge on till i find an answer. if you can help pls do.
      Last edited by eckscalibur; May 10, 2006, 15:48.

Comment

Have you tried deleting the cache? If not.. give it a try.
        Delete the folder C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\My Games\Civ4\Cache

I've heard this does the trick often..

Comment

I have the same problem with my laptop . . .

it crashes on the "loading screen" and then displays a windows error. it seems to "time-out" while trying to read the CD ... but not exactly sure . . .

per the advice of another thread, i tried to find the civilization4.ini file . . . but it is not there. the game has not successfully started on my computer at once . . . i figure that is the reason no "my games/civilization4 directory has been created, etc...

game files currently only exist in the fireaxis/civilization4 directory. moreover, half the files are links to files outside the directory that don't exist (like to the my games . . .) directory that doesn't exist yet...

if it is the cd/dvd drive, how can you tell what brand it is? could it be a faulty cd? what do u think?

I have a dell inspiron e1505 that is brand new, and i hve not modified it at all. this is the second game i've played/installed on it. Dungeon & Dragons Online works fine with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated . . . Dave

Comment

The my games directory is hidden.. to find it, allow windows explorer to display hidden and system files.

Open Windows explorer
            goto "tools" on hte menu
            drop down to "Folder options"
            Option "Hidden files and folders" - turn that on
            Option "Hide protected Operating system files" - turn this off

Location of the cache files:
            C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\My Games\Civ4\Cache

Location of the .ini file:
            C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\My Documents\My Games\Civ4

Comment

Working...
            X