American Voters Disgust Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Voters Disgust Me

Rick Perry is the runaway winner in the Republican primary for Texas governor.
    I don't know about the Democrat side. I never heard of any of them.
    Kinky Friedman is so far behind he may cross the finish line in time to run again.
    Why am I disgusted?
    It's not because of Rick Perry. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a fine job.
    What disgusts me is that 17% of registered voters made the decision.
    Don't even say it's Texas. It's not. Apathy is so rampant it's...disgusting.
    Get off your asses and vote.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

And this is something that you and I agree upon 100%.

It is truly pathetic how many registered voters sit on their ass on Election Day.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

And this is something that you and I agree upon 100%.

It is truly pathetic how many registered voters sit on their ass on Election Day.
      [rant] Its because of our first past the post system. If you don't agree with either of the two parties, then you're out of luck. Voting for a 3rd party is usually pointless, because they rarely have a prayer of flat out winning the election. Even worse, many people see voting for a 3rd party as being counter productive, as it takes votes away from the party ideologically closer to the 3rd party and indirectly benefits the major party that's more ideologically different. This happened in the 1916, 1992, and 2000 elections, with the losing major party blaming the third party voters for their loss.

The result of all this is that many people simply vote for the lesser evil. I find that concept repugnant... I'm not voting for someone unless I agree with them more than I disagree with them. I'm an informed, conscientious citizen, but I didn't vote in the 2004 presidential election. Its not that I'm apathetic; its because I didn't like the candidates.

If we had some sort of proportional representation, I know that we'd see much higher voter participation. The 2 party monopoly would be broken, 3rd parties would actually have a prayer of winning, and currently disaffected voters would have a reason to vote. [/rant]
      I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Vote for a rock if you want to. Write it in, but vote.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Vote for a rock if you want to. Write it in, but vote.
          This must be a difference between the older generation and the younger generation. What value does the act of voting have in and of itself?Why cast a completely meaningless vote? People under totalitarian regimes went and completed the physical act of voting... what did it gain them?

Comment

Re: American Voters Disgust Me

Rick Perry is the runaway winner in the Republican primary for Texas governor.
            I don't know about the Democrat side. I never heard of any of them.
            Kinky Friedman is so far behind he may cross the finish line in time to run again.
            Why am I disgusted?
            It's not because of Rick Perry. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a fine job.
            What disgusts me is that 17% of registered voters made the decision.
            Don't even say it's Texas. It's not. Apathy is so rampant it's...disgusting.
            Get off your asses and vote.
            The leader of the Democrats is Chris Bell. Bell ran for mayor of Houston about 3 or 4 years ago. He was third...and a bad third place. No where close to the run off. He had pretty much 0 minority support too.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

If you vote for a rock, it's a vote of dissention. Don't make the mistake of thinking that doesn't count. It does.

Comment

If you vote for a rock, it's a vote of dissention. Don't make the mistake of thinking that doesn't count. It does.
                So is not voting.

Comment

No. it's not. What seperates you from some wino that doesn't even know what day it is?
                  It's all based off voting. Do it, or don't complain later. Pretty easy.

Comment

No. it's not. What seperates you from some wino that doesn't even know what day it is?
                    It's all based off voting. Do it, or don't complain later. Pretty easy.
                    Sorry, but that's B.S. 83% of the people in that district didn't support anyone enough to want to go vote for them. It seems pretty clear to me. What differentiates a wino and some senile old person who goes in and votes for the wrong person?

The "don't complain" line is so old and stupid... I have a right to complain if I go and write in "rock" (if I'm luck enough to go somewhere that has write in voting as an option). I have the right to complain if I go and vote for someone at random. I don't have the right to complain if I make the reasoned decision not to go and vote for someone. Great logic there.

Want more people voting? Change the system. If you don't want to, then don't complain about low participation. Pretty easy.
                    Last edited by Wycoff; March 8, 2006, 00:45.

Comment

Two other things contribute to this; both are developments of the last 50 years:

1) Incessant media coverage of election polls. The media has relatively little interest in covering what candidates stand for, but they love covering the horse race -- who's ahead, who's gaining, etc. As a result, in the run-up to an election, potential voters hear stories every day that say, essentially, "this guy is going to win." It's easy to understand why voting declines under such circumstances.

2) The declining importance of political parties. I'm a Democrat, but I'm not the kind of Democrat my grandfather was. For him, the Democratic Party was an important institution, and one that he was active in; he was a Democrat in much the same way that he was a Catholic. Such active party membership was common before WWII, and played a big role in encouraging voter turnout. I'm not sure what changed it, but its definitely gone, and gone with it is both teh party apparatus and peer pressure that once encouraged people to get out and vote.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I agree with SlowwHand -- apathy in regards to voting is disgraceful.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Sorry, but that's B.S. 83% of the people in that district didn't support anyone enough to want to go vote for them. It seems pretty clear to me. What differentiates a wino and some senile old person who goes in and votes for the wrong person?
                          The difference is that if 83% of the people had voted for the rock, the rock would have won. Instead, various people less preferred than rocks won.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Just thought I'd add a little comment. Voting for voting's sake isn't the answer either. If you don't have enough information to make a decision then one can't possibly vote responsibly. I don't know what the situation is in Texas, but if it's anything like it was in California a few years ago then I would say that I'm not surprized if some people just don't know who to vote for.

If 83% of the population doesn't show up to vote then I would actually think that there might be some hope for real change in the future of politics. It would just require someone to tap into the root cause of this apathy.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

The difference is that if 83% of the people had voted for the rock, the rock would have won. Instead, various people less preferred than rocks won.
                              But they couldn't agree on which color and type of rock to vote for. there isn't just 1 rock that all 83% would vote on.

Comment

Working...
                              X